eman514

Which Sony best suits my needs

Hope you tried on that helmet before you bought it. The new ones IMO are far worse than the original design...I had both "sizes" and neither fit comfortably....I would seriously reconsider getting a Rawa. They are 10x more comfortable and JUST about the same price in the end...with the Nvertigo you need to buy a chin strap AND bracket...You can get a Rawa w/chin strap already on it....I ended up paying like $15 more to have the better system...I was so incredibly disappointed with the new Nvertigo that I actually was about to trade it to my buddy for the old helmet.

Also, why not sidemount???? Way more comfortable, and in the future you can add a still.

Also, as far as the top mounting, you are really limiting yourself to the choice of cameras....Are you planning on putting a closed box up there??? Thats also a limiting factor....

Go open, on a Rawa, side mount, with ANY SONY PC series...I love my PC5, it does everything with no docking station....Fits any 37mm lens

Also, as far as the top mounting, you are really limiting yourself to the choice of cameras....

Say what? You can topmount just about any camera whereas SIDEMOUNTING will limit your choices to some specific 2nd hand models.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Also, as far as the top mounting, you are really limiting yourself to the choice of cameras....

Say what? You can topmount just about any camera whereas SIDEMOUNTING will limit your choices to some specific 2nd hand models.

There are 3x as many cameras that can be sidemounted in a closed box compared to how many can be topmounted. Cookie for example only makes a mount for the HC3/5/7 You are baiscally eliminating the Sony PC series of cameras by top mounting, leaving you with some new JVC camcorders, HC and TRV series cameras which really don't compare with the PC cameras....Never have I seen a sony PC topmounted, and they make up the majority of 2nd hand cameras. I think only the 107 can be topmounted IIRC.

I have seen several vidiots using top mounted PC cameras and those vidiots have been shooting for national teams (4 & 8 ways) so I don't see the problem using PC cam's on top.

Personally I didn't want a side mount due to my neck problems (yes I do know it's quite stupid of me to strap on a cam when I have neck problems), and therefore I wanted to have the load centered instead of having a twisting momentum when I get a hard opening.

I'm aware that this can be debatable what way is the better but I prefer to have it on top and centered. And no, I’m not going to add a still to my configuration ;)

“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Topmount is much better than sidemount except for a small sidemount for freefly. Most pc cameras can be topmounted just fine, there are a few camerapeople at my dz who do. Some are a bit high (the pc2 I jumped with for a while) but still safer than sidemounting, but who cares you can sell it for more than a 2nd hand good trv/hc will cost you.

As far as a box goes, there are plenty boxes around for the trv series and for most hc. In fact these cameras are generally better feature and quality wise than pc series cameras because the pc were "lifestyle" cameras you paid more for the formfactor than for the features so for the same amount of money you got a better trv camera.
I film a lot of swoopcompetitions, give me an old trv or one of the better hc cameras anyday over those awkward pc cameras, those suck for handheld.

So no, trv/hc cameras do not compare to the pc series, they are BETTER.

ciel bleu,
Saskia