Bowen

The Ultimate 2K Composites camera helmet!!

Edit: However, these guys use a ftp when shooting outside video/stills. I can see why someone would not want a top mount when freeflying inside a formation, especially with large and or less experienced groups. To each his own, we all have to live with our decisions. I only hope we don't endanger someone else.

Sounds like a job for two different helmets.

Quick release or not, the OP's method of top mounting stills is unsafe in my book.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

While it may be unsafe, it's common, and we're not seeing horrendous numbers of snags happening. Terry Schumacher told me he's aware of at least 4 saves due to nylon screws on ringsights, however, and the number of people that have had neck issues due to side mounts is pretty high. A few hundred deployments with an offset weight isn't healthy, IMO (I'm not a doctor, but this forum is filled with sore neck/sidemount posts).
Even with the recessed mount for the HC series, it seems to stick out pretty far, and only appears to minimize the impact of riser slap rather than being far enough in to actually avoid it.
It makes me shake my head though, seeing helmets designed for cameras that are already discontinued, or will be discontinued shortly.

While it may be unsafe, it's common, and we're not seeing horrendous numbers of snags happening.

Yet. Have you ever noticed how something will come from out of nowhere, and kill a guy or two. The next thing you know, it's the hot button safety issue of the week, and evreyone is on top of it, which is a good thing.

My point here is that things that we don't even see as a problem, sometimes turn out to be fatal mistakes. In this case, there are quite a few people who see certain set-ups as mistakes, but there's an awful lot resistance from the peanut gallery to admit that it might be a problem.

It just seems to me that if you don't cover the big points, the ones that people see coming from a mile away, your needlessly opening yourself up to additional risk.

There will always be the 'unknown' risks out there, and you's be hard pressed to prepare for them. But to solider forward unprepared for the risks we can identify if plain foolish.

the number of people that have had neck issues due to side mounts is pretty high. A few hundred deployments with an offset weight isn't healthy, IMO

I'm not sure I understand this at all. The key pivot point in all this is where your head meets your neck. The distance from this point to a sidemount is far less than the distance to a top mount. I can't see how the lateral difference of a side mount can offset the vertical difference provided by a top mount.

I say this based on 500 top mount jumps VS. 3500 side mount jumps.

All of that aside, I firmly believe that any neck related injuries are due to canopy selection and care.

I have always jumped a soft opening canopy, and always packed my own rig. These are what will save your neck, regardless of your camera helmet.

Talk to Norm Kent or Joe Jennings. Both of those guys have jumped full size film cameras for movie or commercial work. Either one will tell you that choosing a canopy, rigger and packer is a HUGE part of planning a successful shoot in a professional enviorment. One slammer with a film camera can end a shoot in a split second. If other camera flyers would give the same level of care to these areas, they would have far fewer neck/back injuries.

I'm not sure I understand this at all. The key pivot point in all this is where your head meets your neck. The distance from this point to a sidemount is far less than the distance to a top mount. I can't see how the lateral difference of a side mount can offset the vertical difference provided by a top mount.

But it is possible to orient your head during deployment, when wearing a topmount, such that all inertial forces from the camera are parallel to your neck/spine and load it in compression (which is preferable to a bending load). With a sidemount, this is impossible... no matter how you orient your head you have a load cantilevered off the side of your neck.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

But it is possible to orient your head during deployment, when wearing a topmount, such that all inertial forces from the camera are parallel to your neck/spine and load it in compression (which is preferable to a bending load). With a sidemount, this is impossible... no matter how you orient your head you have a load cantilevered off the side of your neck.

Yeah, that makes sense. I still maintain that proper canopy selection and packing will make it a non-issue.

Also, and this comes back to what I was saying before, I guess it depends how you set up your helmet. Every time I've revamped mine, one of the goals was to gat the camera in closer to my head.

In it's latest version, I cut a camera shaped hole in the side of the helmet, and mounted the camera so that it was actually touching the side of my head. The only thing betweem me and my camera is a felt 'curtain which protects the camera and keeps the wind out from inside the helemt.

I guess if you wanted to hang a camera way out over your shoulder, you might have problems.

My friend wants to jump his new setup, but he is worried about snagging a line on opening. Yet I see no problems with it. Its a bit heavy, but well worth the better quality video I think.

Anyone have any input or thoughts on this?

http://flylikebrick.com/minishowcase/galleries/00_misc/alex_cam.jpg
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

One April, Parachutist had a pic like that of Tom Sanders with some crazy, unjumpable thing on his head. This was before computers and photoshop were standard items in everyone's house, and I for one bought it hook line and sinker.

Soon after, another jumper pointed out that it would be impossible, and that it was the April (fools) issue.

Imagine the image quality your buddy will get, if they can pry the tape out of the wreckage and save it. Stunning, I'm sure. It brings new meaning to the concept of 'one chance to get it right'.

This was before computers and photoshop were standard items in everyone's house

This is also not a photoshop/graphic job.
We jokingly put the camera on his head for a picture during a shoot for a TV item last summer. But yea..not something you'd want to jump if you want to land with your head still attached:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?