Bowen

Is it true??

Hey guys,

Is it true that you can't zoom in at all with a royal lens? I have a .25 way cool lens and I can zoom in almost to half way before it gets blurry.

If so then why is it possible with a way cool and not a royal.

-Mike
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

No single element lens are considered as zoom-thru lenses. You can zoom, but the backfocus won't work. In other words, you can zoom through both single element lenses, but the focus point will be different at every point in the zoom.

Royal lens .3 will act identical to the similar way cool piece. It'll zoom half way then get out of focus
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

Royal lens .3 will act identical to the similar way cool piece. It'll zoom half way then get out of focus

Do you use a royal? I have a friend with one and he says it doesnt zoom in at all without getting blury..
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

Yes, i use Royal Lense .3

Like i said, using Royal Lens .3 on a Sony PC1000 or Sony HC3 you WILL be able to zoom in half way (or even a little more, if you do it slowly) before it cannot focus anymore. Use Auto focus and zoom in SLOWLY.

Like i said, using Royal Lens .3 on a Sony PC1000 or Sony HC3 you WILL be able to zoom in half way (or even a little more, if you do it slowly) before it cannot focus anymore. Use Auto focus and zoom in SLOWLY.

This will vary greatly with different cameras. With an HC1/3/5/7, or the Sony CX7, you won't get more than 10%.

This will vary greatly with different cameras. With an HC1/3/5/7, or the Sony CX7, you won't get more than 10%.

And with the Sony PC series (105, 109 family) it will zoom in half way (approx).

AFAIK the royal and way cool lenses are to all intents and purposes the same thing.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

as i wrote above, I am getting (more then) half way with Sony HC3 and Royal .3 Try using your zoom slowly and allow the camcorder time to keep the object in focus.
SoFPiDaRF - School of Fast Progress in Downsizing and Radical Flying. Because nobody knows your skills better than you.

I have. Just did it again to test it, based on your post. Previewing out HDMI from the HC3, monitoring on a Luma broadcast monitor, manual and/or auto focus cannot display the centerpoint in a backfocus chart. It's soft. I can see how someone might believe it's in focus, particularly using the camera display panel, but it's not actually focused. I suppose it could be said that focus is a relative concept?