Bowen

Canon 40D

Hey everyone,

I am wondering if anyone is using a Canon 40D, and how do you have it mounted.

what do you think of the 40D, likes, dislikes?

Thanks,
M. Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I have a 40D. Only dislike is where the power switch is; it's not so easy to get to on my current Lbracket (upside down) mounting system. Once I get my Really Right Stuff setup with the L bracket, it'll no longer be an issue. With either the Sigma 8mm or Canon 15mm, it's a great cam.
I don't care for the file system either, but it may be I've just not delved into that particular aspect of the camera. I wish it broke the images into groups of 100, or a new folder each time the camera is turned on.

The old 10D broke it into groups of 100. Starting at about the 30D I guess they changed it so it groups in I think 10000 now. My XTi does the stupid large groupings too, I really dislike it.

On my D200 you just hold down a button when you power on the camera and a new folder is created. I think Canon might have a similar feature but I'm not sure...I found this in a Canon 40D review, might be worth looking in to....

• Folders: Automatically created for image storage; new folder can be user-created with “Manual Reset” function; folders cannot be freely selected on memory card by the photographer

Action©Sports

Just got my new camera. a 40D. bought from circuit city not too happy about buying from them but I got it for 1250.00 with a 28-135mm IS lens. Its awesome. 1/2 pound heavier than a XTI but I can deal.

-Mike

Congrats! Didja get your trigger sorted out, or are you buying one of Laszlo's/The ProShop switches?

I am going to sell my bite switch and buy one of the tongue switch from conceptus. they also make one for the 40D.

now I just need to decide between the sigma 8mm / canon 15mm or the canon 10-22mm. I am shooting video with a raynox .5 HD wide angle lens.

-Mike

PS: Thanks to DSE for all your help!! you are the man!

On what camera are you using the Raynox? The width of the camera's wide angle should help you determine which lens to purchase.
The 10/22 is likely your best bet, but info on your camcorder will help determine best/full/matching width between camcorder and still cam.

On what camera are you using the Raynox? The width of the camera's wide angle should help you determine which lens to purchase.
The 10/22 is likely your best bet, but info on your camcorder will help determine best/full/matching width between camcorder and still cam.

I am using the .5 lens on my HC-5. I have been researching prime vrs zoom but still dont know what i am talking about.:S

I am not sure if I want a 10-22mm. I keep hearing from forums that I should go prime over zoom.

I am pulling hair at this point.

-Mike

Unless you are doing 100% crops all the time that quality of zoom will be fine for most stuff. If you are ever going to be looking atmoving to a 5D or other full frame sensor camera at this pointthey are not able to accept the EF-S lenses so thats something to keep in mind.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

By the way, the shots I got with the 10-22 last weekend are at http://www.skydivingstills.com/gallery/3776203 (along with some shots from the 70-300). You can see pretty big versions of them (~1024 wide).

Those are all at 10mm... I think I've decided that I'm not responsible enough to own such a wide lens. I enjoy getting heavily distorted super-closeup shots of people too much. How did you escape from getting a stupid picture taken??

BTW, one of the shots from the second jump has some fisheye effect... that was added in photoshop. I found the distortion at 10mm to be kind of weird when anything was near the edges. Added the fisheye effect to one I printed. I (surprisingly) think it looks better, but I don't think I'd want all the pictures to have a fisheye look.

Dave

How did you get it for that price? They have it listed at $1498 on their website

They were offering a special for 1399 plus 10% off for web purchase with in-store pick up.