skymoo

Editing help: Recom for best HDV output

Hi all,

I purcahsed a Sony HC3 - HDV cam, a new powerful PC to edit HDV, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 - all to be able to deliver HD content. I start by opening a new project in Premiere with preset HDV 1080i30 (60i).
I go through the editing process with all HD material. At the end, I want to deliver the video in HD format, on an HD TV. I have not spent the $500 on a Blu-ray burner, mainly because no one has the $450 Blu-ray player to show at the end. I want to export like the old DV days to tape, so that I then may plug in my camera to the HD TV where we will show the skydiving videos... and here are my two questions:
1. Although I can capture and control my camera just fine from Adobe Premiere, I cannot export to tape since it is grayed out - even with the camera on and me standing on the timeline before clicking on export. I can export to tape if I do a DV project, same hardware.
* added: on a full HD project export to tape worked with these settings .... after a long transcoding wait. I guess I have to trouble shoot that one project with animations, ect..
2. How else can I deliver the final video in HD? I want to exclude having everyone huddle up around my laptop screen, or buying a grand worth of burner and player, and hauling around a $550 player to the TVs where I want to show the videos (i.e. sports bars where I want to get peolpe excited about our sport)

All help is appreciated!

Thanks and Blue ones!
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

1. Although I can capture and control my camera just fine from Adobe Premiere, I cannot export to tape since it is grayed out - even with the camera on and me standing on the timeline before clicking on export. I can export to tape if I do a DV project, same hardware.
* added: on a full HD project export to tape worked with these settings .... after a long transcoding wait. I guess I have to trouble shoot that one project with animations, ect..

You shouldn't have had a "transcoding wait" except on the clips/files you'd modified ie; color correction etc, and/or any graphics, overlays, etc.

2. How else can I deliver the final video in HD? I want to exclude having everyone huddle up around my laptop screen, or buying a grand worth of burner and player, and hauling around a $550 player to the TVs where I want to show the videos (i.e. sports bars where I want to get peolpe excited about our sport)

To deliver right now in HD; these are your choices/options:
1-HDCam, Blu-ray, HD DVD. All three require either an HDCAM recorder (cheap at 50K) BD burner or HD DVD burner

2-Burn HD DVD discs on a standard DVD 5, but still requires HD DVD playback unit

3-HDV tape, playback from tape unit over component to HD display

4-Burn MPEG2, AVCHD, DivXHD, XVidHD, NeroShow, MPG4, or VC1 to a standard DVD, playback via computer

5-Variation on #4, render to HDD, playback via computer

6-Render as a WMV/VC1 file and stream it.

I think that's it, although I may have missed one in my addled response.

#'s 3,4,5, 6 are the most cost-effective. A laptop connected to an LCD, DLP, or Plasma display will be just fine. Or, connected to an XGA projector. Or a large computer monitor.

Or, just edit the HD timeline and output a standard NTSC Widescreen SD DVD so anyone can play it anywhere, save the project for the day BD is standard.

I hope I'm not hijacking by asking if you have thoughts as to which HD format you think is going to be the standard. HD DVD being backed by Microsoft certainly has an advantage, but with Sony behind BD, it has advantages, too. I've also seen more BD burners available now than HD DVD burners. Thoughts?

We have gambled the HD delivery portion of our business on BD. Has nothing to do with Sony vs Micro$oft. The BDA (Blu-ray Disc Association) is significantly larger than the Microsoft/Toshiba alliance, has a much larger "future" given the size and seek times of the disc, has much better code support, and has a set standard (although it came -very- late). Microsoft and Toshiba have twice changed their standard. However...if sales of the Xbox rise like mad this holiday season, HD DVD has a chance to even the odds at the consumer level. BD has support from consumers and professionals, content creators and data archivists. HD DVD has only consumer support.
In the end, it'll boil down to who sells the most machines and DVDs this holiday season and in the first two quarters of 2008, IMO. BD outsells HD DVD discs by more than 2:1. HD DVD sells more players than BD by about 35%. But BD also has significantly greater PS3 support.
It'll be impossible to predict the winner with any certainty, but we need authoring *right now* for a few of our higher end clients, so it's been worth the roughly 10K investment we've made in supporting BD. *if* HD DVD gains legs, it'll be second generation burners, and so they'll be relatively cheap, and the support structure for HD DVD is identical to BD other than the burner.
FWIW, I believe we're the first DZ in the world to have delivered a BD DVD to a student. We charge out the wazoo for it, but...we do have the ability and the technology already.

I am using Premiere Pro 2.0 and I export to HDV tape to make HD movies to play on the big TV. I have my HC3 turned on, firewire plugged in and I click my cursor on the timeline and I can export to tape via the file menu.

I have a pretty fast system, but I still get an enormously long transcoding wait time- almost 10 minutes for every minute of tape to render. That aggravation, plus the fact that Premiere takes 5 minutes just to load my projects and hangs for 3 minutes every time I click outside of my premiere window was too much. Lack of AVCHD support for my next camera was the last straw and inspired me to ditch my 5 year investment in premiere products and training and buy Vegas last week.

In my non-expert opinion, I see Blu-Ray winning the 'war' and look forward to burner/player prices plummeting once that happens.