hsaddler

Where to look for used gear

There are a number of classifieds as well as dealers who sell used gear. Sunshine-factory.com is one, Call Ralph is another, the Enclave as well as a few others (that I can't remember off the top of my head...follow the 100 top Skydiving sites list off the main dz.com page and you'll see some links).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You can also check manufacturer's sites like Sunpath as well as Square 1. But, the best deals I've found have been on bulletin boards at the DZ.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I see by you're profile that you're in the Bay Area. You might consider checking out Action Air Parachutes, we're in Davis, up by Sac. We have a very complete used gear selection and the list can be found online at www.actionair.com.

THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT, JUST ANSWERING A QUESTION!!!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

I was looking for a complete rig and got frustrated and tired of seeing rigs for sale that either A) fit my body but canopies that were too small or B) had the right size canopies but were too large for my body. Have you thought of looking for just a container or container/reserve and piecing it together from there?
A One that Isn't Cold is Scarcely a One at All

look everywhere!

I found a great deal on practically unused gear listed on a DZ's website. A lot of them have classified sections with gear that doesn't seem to make it to the major online listing engines like dz.com and the enclave. There's a whole bunch of lazy skydivers selling gear that either never go online or never bother to list their stuff in classified services (even free ones =), so take a weekend road trip and visit the bulletin boards of nearby and not-so-nearby DZs. Talk to the dzo's and riggers too, lots of sellers are too lazy to even bother to make posters. The more work you do finding a rig the better your price will be :)
just make sure you know the quality of the gear you're buying -- either buy from a reputable source or get a rigger to inspect the gear before you fork over your dollars. harness sizing can be tricky too, friends with rigs are great for getting to know what sizes should fit and what shouldn't

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?