chrismgtis

Sony HC 38, 48 or 96?

The word is my girlfriend is going to buy the camera and helmet for me. We will see. :P

When I started researching this so I could find out what camera and helmet to get, I decided on a Cookie and it appears Sony doesn't make the PC line anymore. So, I'm looking at the HC line of cameras.

I'm going to use Cookie's "build your own" option on the site and get the helmet, mount and everything that way.

I figure spending between $400-500 will get me a pretty decent camera without having to spend too much. So I looked at bhphotovideo.com to see what they had available.

The Sony HC38, HC48 and HC96 are in the $400-500 range. Which would be the better camera?

I'm planning on using the camera for free fall video. That is probably the main use that will come out of it, but I will use it for other things. I am going to import all the videos into Adobe Premiere to edit.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

The aforementioned identical thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2955139;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I'm trying to make the same decision, having done 1000 jumps with aging PC3 & PC5.

I was disapointed to see Sony's MiniDV have dropped some good features;
-external microphone jack
-manual focus ring
-LANC plug

I also think the docking station would be a pain, I like to exchange footage after a jump & on my old PCs could dub without taking the camera off the helmet.

Sony's HD cameras can record MiniDV & 4:3 if you like that stuff,
and give you more of the semi-pro features, at half the price of what a PC3 was worth eight years ago.

- the pain for me is I would have to modify my helmet ot top mount,
& change frightens me :P

The only advantage I can see for the HC96, is that you can dub composite video from your old VHSs through it. Is this worth the extra price? ...I do have a lot of old VHS.

Both the HC48 & 96 use a docking station, so I would be tempted to suggest as a budget 1st camera, to go with the HC38.

- What is it with Skydivers & Sony though?
Pandemonium on Youtube

What is it with Skydivers & Sony though?

Proven durability over a long period of time when other brands fail to meet or exceed the life of a sony camera, sony is a brand you can count on to stand up to the demanding environments and abuse of skydiving way better other brands on the market.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

If i recall correctly the HC 96 still have the LAN C plug which could be a good choice to have if you're planning to use a Cam-eye II ...
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !