Blahr

buying/selling

Hello,

Is there a standard practice for buying and selling equipment so that both buyer and seller are comfortable?

For instance, if I was buying a used complete rig through the classifieds, would it reasonable to request the seller have a rigger at their DZ go over it and send me their qualifications and findings prior to money changing hands?

Thanks,

Chris

Now this is just my opinion because I have not done a lot of buying/selling. With that said, if you purchase something used the buyer should allow you 30 days or so to inspect it by your rigger and make sure there aren't any deficiencies that the seller did not list.

If you're buying it from someone you don't know but they have a well-respected rigger loft it is very reasonable to have the rig inspected and for you to get the rigger's findings/deficiencies.

Again - just an opinion. I am neither a rigger nor a person who has bought/sold much at all! :)

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

The two parachutes I've bought, both through here, were worked very simply. I took possession of the canopy, and had my rigger inspect it. Once he pronounced it fine, I sent the check along in a thank you card.

Both times I offered to send a good faith deposit. Both times it was declined.

I am not sure about anyone else's experience, so can't say if this is right, wrong or indifferent. Just that this was my experience.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Since I am also looking for a used rig, I asked lots of people how this should be done. Most of the people that i asked said to have the rig sent to a rigger. A check/money order will also be sent to the rigger from the buyer. The rigger will inspect the rig and give a report to the buyer. If the buyer agrees to buy the rig, the rigger sends the check to the seller. When the check/money order clear the sellers bank, the rig is sent to the seller. The rigger is acting as a *disinterested* third party. I guess the rigger should probably be somebody that both parties agree to.

If you're buying it from a shop, they'll almost always give you some time to have your rigger look it over and make sure it's right for you...thats what we do.

If you're buying it from an individual, sometimes people use a third party go between to hold the check and the gear, usually a shop or a reputed rigger. Once the buyer is satisfied with the rig, the third party releases the check to the seller and the rig to the buy...something we've also done in the past.

Most bigger shops will help you out with one (or both) of these services.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."