velocityphoto

Bonehead won't cut away???

I have 2 ftp's and neither one of them will cut away. I just got a retro fit kit for my old helmet ,was trying it out and i will not cut away at all.It seems that something is binding on the hinge.
I tried my other ftp to do some comparison between the 2 ,and i can't get it to cut away either ,pull the handle and nothing happens with the bone it stays rock solid . All of the pulling and yanking will not release the helmet .
I'd spend the rest of my life trying to get either one of them off! Is there some kind of fucking trick to the hinge or something?
Idea's anyone?
Thanks Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Maybe some graphite on the hinge? I've only got around 400 jumps on mine, but it cuts away very easily. I've been checking the cable about once a month or so, when I also check the screws, etc on the helmet. I've twice lubed the cable with silicone, same thing used on my cutaway cables, but it was easy to cut when I first got it, too.

Thanks guys, i planned on putting some graphite on it tomorrow anyways. I'll be sure to let you know how it helps if at all!
Lonnie

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Funny, I just finished building a Wes Rich style CCM and I am using one of Terry's hinges on it. See attached picture (hinge not actually in picture).

When I put it on my head and did a test cutaway it does not release automatically. But if I hold the helmet with my hands and twist my head to the left, the torque causes the back door ("bone" on FTP) to flex a bit which allows the hinge to release. Terry sent me a new hinge to test but my helmet is at the painter right now so I haven't been able to try it yet. I was thinking it was my helmet design at first, but after looking at the hinge a long time I decided it was that piece itself. Now that I hear others are having the same problem even on an actual FTP, I feel more justified in my belief.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Your CCM looks great. Be sure to post pics when it gets back from paint. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

From the sound of it, you might not have enough padding on the RIGHT side of the helmet. The right side needs more than the left because it sticks out further.

Also, on the one you retro fitted, did you sand some more of the bone in between the notches so the hinge can slip through?

My name is Linda and I work for Bonehead. Call me so we can discuss it.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Okay everyone here is my conclusion on this issue.
I tried a couple things here,1st i tired Linda's advise on adding shims in the hinge side of the bone pad .I put 4 layers of shim under the right side of the bone pad which increases outward tension on the hinge ,and it cut away just fine.Then i added some graphite to the hinge and i believe it did the trick . It pops the bone completely off the helmet every time.
So i believe i did not have enough tension under the right side of the bone to begin with. Linda has also suggested to that they make a thicker bone pad. I also believe by adding a wedge shaped shim under the hinge where it mounts to the helmet body would greatly increase the tension on the opening hinge by changing the angle of the hinge . I think changing the angle with the wedge under the hinge to begin with will solve this issue completely.
Thanks Linda