friis

Crissfire 1 - of-heading openings

Recently I purchased a Crossfire 1, and I have made about 25 jumps on it. But I have a little problem with the openings. I know that openings are very long on Crossfires, and I like it, but the problem is that it does not open on heading. The problem occurs just after the slider has come down, and the last cells inflate. The canopy then takes a hard turn to the right, because the two cells to the right inflated last.
Is this normal? If not what can I do to avoid it?
------------------------------------------------
Benjamin - Denmark

Is is possible you are rolling the cells on the left of the nose tighter than the ones on the right?

When you pack, are you making sure the risers are lined up evenly?

I would suggest trying get some video of the opening either from your perspective and/or someone elses if thats possible.

I have 250 jumps on my XFire 1 119 which was on the recall list and has had the line trim mod. It never opens on heading. The outer 3 cells on each side inflate before the centre 3 cells, and then the two halves of the canopy fight for dominance. Which ever side wins is the way it'll turn as it finishes inflation. I've lessened the amount of off heading by switching to psycho packing and being much more aware of my body position during inflation.
Rich M

My Xfire was not on the recall list. I also psycho pack, and the opening has become better. Have You experienced, that the of-heading openings have resulted in lige twists?
------------------------------------------------
Benjamin - Denmark

i have a crossfire 1 119,and seldom is there a on heading opening with mine.i think its just the charistics of the canopy.as long as you arnt getting line twists and are aware of this it shouldnt be much of a problem.if it is contact icarus and see what they say.they have relly good cust service in my opinion, compared to some other companys.<> <>

Only once in 250 jumps. I am very careful about keeping a symmetrical and level body position during the initial inflation, watching the horizon as I deploy to ensure my shoulders are level and feeling my hips to try to keep them level. I also make sure I tighten my legs straps evenly. Then once I am brought vertical I reach up and pull the rear risers apart evenly to keep from twisting up as the canopy turns during final inflation when the centre cells inflate.
Rich M

I have a xfire139 with about 500 jumps on it. Get on the rear risers & weight shift to keep it sweet. Mine will search a bit while in the snivel but I am always within 20 degrees of heading. You just gotta fly thru the opening. Why psycho pack?... it will just snivel more. I get 1000 to 1200 foot openings with an open nose,stabiliser back propack.

[I get 1000 to 1200 foot openings with an open nose,stabiliser back propack.]

Is this true? I have a X fire with line trim mod and I have the same problem 50% of the openings turn 45 degrees to whatever side, I don't think I loose that much altitude on openings even that is the softer openings I ever experience and that's why I love the canopy beside the swooping capabilities.
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html