crapflinger2000

Riser Lengths for Velocity

Hey, maybe this should go in swoopy doopy forum but what the heck... I need to buy some replacement risers that I will install my Velocity on...

The current size I have is like 18" or 19". Std RWS risers are like 21" or 22".

I have never been fond of the shortened risers, as they serve no purpose that I can see (unless you are arm length impaired) and take away from your control range somewhat (perhaps minimally, but WTF you nerver know)....

My question is:

Does anyone know what size risers Velocities were tested under and what PD considers to be the optimal length? (I will ask PD as well but someone here will probably know)

Is there in fact an industry std length, or is the only std measurement on risers the 4" from riser end to guide ring?

later

Riser length plays a large factor into brake setttings and flare point. To move the flare point up 3 inches you can either shorten the brakes 3 inches and leave it on the same risers or you can add 3 inches to the risers. One can distort the canopy, the other can leave the slider too high to reach.

Arm length plays a factor as does brakes. Don't be surprized if you change length's your stalling your canopy if you go to longer ones with out adjusting the brakes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

yes... that kinda is what I am talking about...

I guess my point is:

PD designed the Velocity with a certain amount of control range (a key variable in that range being riser length) in mind. If they designed it for 22 inch risers, then I am getting screwed out of 3 inches of control range by having shorter risers and am gonna sue somebody's ass.

If they designed if for 22 inch risers, there is no need to monkey with cntrl line lengths if I get longer risers....

Anyway, I'll letcha know what PD says...

I was thinking about this the other day. I could be wrong but, If you lengthen the or shorten the brake lines as much as the risers than you dont lose any of the control range. Control range is a predetermined amount of deflection of the tail from full flight. Whether the canopy is 3 inches closer or not shouldnt make a difference in the control range right? Just so long as the control lines are adjusted accordingly.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

If you lengthen the or shorten the brake lines as much as the risers than you dont lose any of the control range.

You will lose control range to the extent that your arms are not fully extended to reach the toggles. If you don't have to lift your hand up much to grab your toggles, then you are not able to pull the toggles down as far, without taking a wrap.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

"Control range is a predetermined amount of deflection of the tail from full flight. Whether the canopy is 3 inches closer or not shouldnt make a difference in the control range right? Just so long as the control lines are adjusted accordingly."

Here we have the correct answer.

Rizer length is typically set by the container manufacturer and is usually set up to the ends of the rizers are into the main container.

Hutch
m.r. TQ2

Can you stall it with the shorter risers? If yes, then you're not getting screwed out of any control range.

What may be happening with shorter risers is that you're crowding your arms. Having your arms bent to accomodate shorter risers makes rear riser inputs more difficult.

I finally ended up with 24" risers, because they work with my arm length and make riser inputs the easiest.

Also keep in mind that changing your riser length will affect your turn rate and recovery arc, at least slightly.

I doubt PD is going to tell you the Velocity was designed for a certain riser length. Different riser lengths work for different people. And a key variable in the control range of any canopy is not the riser length (except in unusual cases like extremely long/short arms or extremely long/short risers). Riser length should be determined more by personal preference and convenience.

Jason

You will lose control range to the extent that your arms are not fully extended to reach the toggles. If you don't have to lift your hand up much to grab your toggles, then you are not able to pull the toggles down as far, without taking a wrap.

This shouldn't be an issue on a Velocity as the control range is fairly short (unless you have really short arms). I'm sure that the average skydiver could stall a Velocity on 18" risers... but the average skydiver doesn't jump a Velocity... and most Velocity pilots already have their riser lengths figured out....

Jason

OK, I think some of my points got misconstrued or taken a bit too seriously. Anyway, PD said anything around 20" is good, so I guess they feel it is not too important.

Anyway, to answer some of the points in the above posts:

Yes
No
Of course not
Whatever.

Later

I jump very short risers with whatever is over my head, my two Velocities included. As I don't use a whole lot of my control range anyway, I see no downside to them at all. Yes, I can still easilly stall my Velocities (75 and 79) with the toggles, so that is not an issue. What is most important to me is being able to QUICKLY get my slider down and stowed and having my dive loops up near full arm extension. I have two-inch longer risers on my staff rig (Stiletto 107) but don't like that I have to fish around for the slider.

Chuck