Stumpy

iphoto import

Try this......set up your iPhoto to open when you install a disk with images on it. Burn all your photos to a disk from where you currently keep them. Take the disk out when your done and reinsert it. iPhoto will pop open and ask you if you want to import them.

All this might be unnecesary as iPhoto from iLife 06' will categorized your photos amazingly well. You can make albums to your hearts content and smartfolders that will create a folder to your specific specification, such as dates taken.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

If you have folders set up for specific events/categories, etc. here's a couple of thoughts/suggestions...this assumes you're migrating from a PC and have burned your directory structure, etc to a CD/DVD...

1 - set up a new folder/album in iPhoto with the same name/category. Drag the photos from inside your existing folder and drop them on the album/folder you just created in iPhoto...they will be imported into that folder and into your library. Easy way to keep your photos organized how you already have them.

2 - Set up your key word categories and take the time to go through your whole library and apply them to each photo. You can then easily find every shot of a particular person, etc by clicking on the key icon at the bottom left and selecting the keywords you want to see. I spent several evenings getting my library caught up and now take a minute or two every time I import.

If you have an existing iPhoto library, you can use a program like iPhoto Buddy to switch between it and a new iPhoto library that you create. I have 6 different iPhoto libraries. Every year or so I create a new one when the numnber of photos starts slowing things down (I have a 4 1/2 year old flatpanel iMac which is pretty slow compared to the new machines)

If you have an existing iPhoto library, create folders with the names you want to save and export the photos into each folder. Then, either burn to disk and import onto your new machine or boot the old machine as a firewire disk (Hold down the T key when you boot it up) and drag the photos into you new iPhoto folder/album (same idea as # 1 above)

I'm not completely sure I understand your situation but I hope this gives you some ideas that will help you out.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey