andybr6

Turning a CYPRES off?

Hi I have just bought a second hand rig which is equipped with a CYPRES [mfg in 98]. I know to turn it off you must press the button 4 times the same as the turn on procedure but when i do it it does not seem to work. Can anyone give me any advice?

A

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

Thanks for the replys guys. I will probley let it switch itself off. But if anyone has experience with switching them off any and all info would be appreciated.

A

The trick with shutting them off is you have to be QUICK. Quicker than turning it on. Turning it on, you can press the button for a second or two and then twice more when the light goes on. Turning it off requires a bit more speed and timing. Press the button, but just for a milisecond -as quick as you can, and then you should see the light come on twice more and hit the button each time.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Thanks for the replys guys. I will probley let it switch itself off. But if anyone has experience with switching them off any and all info would be appreciated.
A

Try this. If the conventional method failed, push the button 3 times in rapid succession. When the light comes on, continue as usual.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

You´ll find good advise here

For example they write that it sometimes can be good to know how to turn it off:

*If it´s on in the morning (give you a new 14 hour interval)
*If you take the cypres in a car and travel over 50 feet altitude change (save battery)
*If take-off and landing altitude are different(to not confuse it)
*If you had it in elevation split mode (to reset the altitude difference

And here is one of their advise how to turn it off:

The main thing to remember is to "click" (rather than "press") the button very sharply and rapidly. After the first click, remain poised and ready for the next click as soon as the red light illuminates.

Generally when there is a problem turning CYPRES off, the operator assumes that the button is not being "pressed" hard enough, and "presses" it even harder. This equates to pressing it longer. About this time frustration sets in, and the button is pressed even harder and longer. When the button is pressed hard or long enough for the first click of the turn-off sequence, the red light will not illuminate at all!

Look at the link, it might help you, good luck :)

Thaks guys, Hookit you were dead on i pushed it 3 times rapidly and it worked, Cornholio you were right about having to be quick it took me a couple of go's to get fast enough.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

A

Cypres consumes less battery if you just let it go off by it self.

The concern I think, is actually switch wear vs. battery life over-all.

The reason it is harder to turn the cypres off than on is a design feature. It has to be very well "coordinated" on purpose. Otherwise, switch "bumps" in the plane on ride to alt. etc. could potentially make it more prone to being inadvertently turned off.

I know with my particular cypres (Manf. right around the same date as yours -don't know if that matters or not), the "trick" is the very first push must be more of a "stab" than a deliberately held push. Then as the light flashes, as cornholio says: you have to be QUICK! ...If you miss, it will frustrate you trying again, because the cypres will then IGNORE all other presses for at least 90 seconds.

Again, this is a design FEATURE.
I do turn mine off after jumping in the colder months, simply because colder weather amplifies battery drain if the rig is exposed to the cold with the cypres on for extended periods. (maybe that is a misperception, but it works for me).

With a little bit of practice (just like learning to turn it on) you'll be able to soon enough get it turned off whenever you want to. For the most part though, it is entirely not necessary, at least as a general "routine".

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

[reply}The concern I think, is actually switch wear vs. battery life over-all.

Where did the concern for switch life come from?

the cypres will then IGNORE all other presses for at least 90 seconds.

This is not true for my 1 year old unit, was the software changed?

Someone with a lot of curiositiy/initiative/time on their hands actually reported the results of measuring the current draw in different modes of operation in a previous thread. It seemed pretty clear that there is an advantage to turning it off even if you don't gain/lose altitude while driving home, etc.

The earlier link to the SSK website dispelling the rumors and myths answers these questions and should help anyone having trouble turning it off. It really just isn't that hard to do if you realize that the switch depresses without much force.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am