everymansaved

23.976fps NTSC??

So I just bought a cheap-ish AVI-DVD converter/burner. It has several output frame-rates: 24fps Standard Film Rate, 29.97 NTSC Rate, 25fps PAL/SECAM, and 23.976 NTSC Film Rate. Now, I understood that there was more than one variant of PAL, but I thought NTSC was NTSC, am I wrong?

Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

23.976 = source speed, 29.97 = display speed.

24 fps film is slowed down to 23.976 fps.
thus, by using 2:3 pulldown, you end up with 59.94 fields per sec (= 29.97 frames ps).

what this all means is that in your mpeg encode, you only creeate 23.976 progressive frames, for an interlaced output of 29.97, wich gives you a 20% data reduction. the missing fields are recreated at display time.

in short: if your source is film (24fps) and your target is television (29.97 fps), you can use this setting.
blue skies,

http://myjumps.blogspot.com/

There are different video formats like 25i, 30i, 24p, 25p by frame rate and interlaced/progressive.

TV broadvast is using interlaced frames, movies(non-digital) are progrssive.

You may have 24p or CineForm effect with some camcorders.

The correct word would be "CineFrame."
"CineForm" is the brand name of an HDI, or High Definition Intermediary.
CineFrame is a proprietary means by which Sony (in 3 camera models) packaged various framerates such as 24p in a 60i stream, without pulldown flags. Unless you have specific tools with which to remove the pulldown, ie; Vegas or CineForm, the CineFrame mode on these cameras is useless, it'll make your eyes bug out and could cause epileptic seizures.;)
23.976 is a computer equivalent of 24p on a clock. It can be viewed as 24p or pulldown may be inserted, allowing you to see film cadence on an NTSC television screen. NTSC is always 30 interlaced frames, hence the term "60i".
NTSC is *almost* dead, and will essentially be so in just over a year as the new broadcast standards for DTV (not related to HDTV) kick in.
ATSC set the new standards for both HD and SD broadcasting, and 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i, and 60i are all part of the spec. The spec will likely soon be amended to include 60p.

CineForm

TV standards seems to have variants like PAL60.

You really don't need to understand it unless you're scoring music or inserting commercial breaks for broadcast masters, but the easy explanation is that DF or Drop Frame was created as a means of dropping TIME but nothing else from a sequence of frames, so it is easier to calculate for broadcast, making commercial breaks etc, be in "clean" time.
Drop frame removes 2 frames in time count vs non-drop frame removing no time. The actual playback doesn't change.
In other words, it's just a different method of counting.

One hour of vid of true 60i is 108,000 frames.
However, 108,000 frames at 29.97 is one hour plus 3.6 seconds. Dropping frames in the count makes it much easier for broadcast.
Regardless of the format, NTSC can be annotated as DF or NDF, so 29.97 might be followed with either annotation. But...DV is always NDF at the camera, so you'd be shifting it in your NLE.

HTH?

[edited to add] NDF vs DF doesn't have any application to the discussion thus far in this thread, 24p, 25p 50i don't have DF modes.