MalcolmR

custom camera helmets?

First off, all camera helmets are custom made to a degree. You're not going to find anything off the shelf that you can just put on and jump. They all need a few tweaks to suit your needs.

Second, if thats a hard-drive type camera, forget it. The drive doesn't like the altitude or the abuse from skydiving.

Furthermore, even if HD cams were useful in skydiving, that thing you want isn't a Sony, and liek it or not, Sonys are the only cams that last up in the sky.

***For under 500 US$ I am willing to try it, irrespective of your opinion of the camera. So the question remains: whom might I contact to have a custom helmet made for it?

Just a thought, you can find used sony mini dv cams, proven in freefall, for around $500 or less on e-bay. Additionally, there are already helmets and camera boxes designed around these cams, so you'll save the money by not having something 'custom-built'. Besides, when the camera does shit the bed, your custom helmet becomes useless.

Not to mention the Cameyes and other indicator lights available, along with the ability to fire-wire videos back and forth with other jumpers.

If you still want to go your way, call Bonehead Composites in California, or get in touch with Wes at Rim World Video in Florida, he's probably the best guy for one-off custom stuff. Good luck.

I'm a little confused... save money on the camera and spend extra money on a custom helmet to hold only a cheap camera? Doesn't make sense to me. Why not just use an L-bracket to hold it on to the side of a standard helmet? Or top mount it?

Everybody knocks the memory card cameras, but it might actually work really well. I know a jumper that was using a really small mpeg camera a few years ago (can never remember the brand... maybe panasonic) and the video quality was fine on a normal TV or for uploading to the internet. He got a PC1000 for tandem videos, but the mpeg camera worked really well. You can also jump right to the part of the video you want when playing back, no rewinding. I think once the quality comes up on those, that'll be the way to go.

I just don't think a custom helmet makes sense when the whole idea is to save money (I assume). Then again, I'd prefer not to use a side mounted camera that's not in a box.

Dave