jimmytavino

How would a Sony HC3 affect......

.... the playback of my old mini dv tapes???

If I played a tape which was recorded on a sony trv 20 or trv 27... would anything in the "newer" HC3 "enhance" any of those old tapes..
( I have hundreds of originals,, and very seldom recorded over the top of the original footage)
They always play just fine in the camcorder from which they were recorded.. and usually look OK...
Only.....If I played them back on an HC3 would they look sharper ??? better ??? or Worse?????

(please don't suggest,,, "try it" cause I currently do NOT own an HC3...but I'm thinking about one )
Can I firewire from the old camera into the 3 , effectively "re-creating the footage as a dub" and get a better image???? or just play the old tape in the new camera???
just wondering.........
jmy
A3914 D 12122

Its not going to change what is already on the tape. Copying it is a digital copy, not a single byte will change so it will be an exact copy. The HC3 isn't going to magically make those old tapes look better.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

(please don't suggest,,, "try it" cause I currently do NOT own an HC3...but I'm thinking about one )
Can I firewire from the old camera into the 3 , effectively "re-creating the footage as a dub" and get a better image???? or just play the old tape in the new camera???
just wondering.........

Wont get any better... But I did test it.

Pulled a tape out of a HC20, threw it in the HC3...

Works fine playing back . 4x3 shows with pillars on either side, 16X9 shows fullscreen(even though it's letterboxed on the hc20...) All results are in camera only. (don't feel unloved, I'm too lazy at midnight to mess with the plasma or find a firewire for the powerbook...)

Stop thinking about one, and get one. You'll be happy...!!!

C.

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

" all results are in camera only"

so then playback mode won't sharpen things...:(
BUT newly recorded footage will be great....B|sounds good to me...
I pretty much expected that...
In fact I have noticed that tapes recorded on one Mini-dv camera sometimes did not play well on other Mini-dv cameras,,,,( i have 4 of them )
I was only thinking that the HC models might now have new technology in the playback mode...and maybe it does...

I'm asking Santa Claus to put one in my Christmas Stocking..... but AFTER the lumps of coal... so it won't get scratched !!!B|;):)o[:-) .......jmy

Jimmy -

Next thing you know Pat is going to buy one and then I'll end up with one :S I really didn't want to spend the money this coming season :|

Seriously though... the part about your tapes not working in all cameras well could be head clogs in the camera, or more likely missalignment of the heads after a while so that the tapes recorded in one camera don't play back quiet perfectly in a newer camera where the inner parts haven't been bounced around by a bunch of openings.

What are the tapes doing? Playing like?

matt

The concern about switching tapes is (these days) significantly more limited, if a concern at all. At one time, BASF lubricated their tape with powder to prevent it from sticking. This is known as "wet tape." BASF made perhaps 30% of all tape out there, regardless of whose housing and brand name it was under. Wet tape doesn't exist any longer; but there are of course, older tapes still kickin around.
The upshot is that if you start shooting wet tape, you must stick with it. If you started shooting dry tape, you never want to switch.
It hasn't been an issue for about 4 years, but as mentioned, there are probably stacks of old wet tape lying on someone's shelf that they shot, and you'll not want to put that in your cam. The easiest way to avoid crossing tape is to avoid shifting brands.

...hmmm interesting..
I have mini-dv tapes from 1998.
they were recorded on a DCR-TRV7 and often those would have video playback issues on my VX -1000 and sometimes on later vintage trv20 and trv 27....:|

so... I just always stuck with using the proper camera whenever I was editing footage...
thanks for the heads up about not putting those tapes into a newer model and possibly hurting the heads....advice taken...
so dry tape is the way to go....

o[:-)

jmy

while the HC3 is of course, a top mount, saw a very unique rig in Sydney/Picton where a guy had one side mounted with cut-out foam on the right side, and a modified Dbox on the left side of cam. tricky, but it worked for him.
I'd hoped to buy one of Cookie's boxes while I've been touring Australia, but Cookie wasn't around. I'm sure it won't be long til someone has a commercial side box for these cams, even though they're a bit clutzy to mount from side.