supafly

Protecting a Sigma 15mm

From what I understand, any filter I buy for my SIGMA 15mm would be rear-mounted. My goal is to protect the lens by putting something over the front surface of the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Arizona Drive 4-Way VFS - www.DriveVFS.com

From what I understand, any filter I buy for my SIGMA 15mm would be rear-mounted. My goal is to protect the lens by putting something over the front surface of the glass. Does anyone have any suggestions?

A lens hood.

I have a couple hundred jumps on mine w/o any major/minor problems. I don't jump in a desert climate though. ymmv.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You could buy a 72mm glass filter, screw it onto the adapter ring that the lens cap comes attached to and keep that on the end of the lens. The downside to this is that the lens' field of view is wide enough that you will see the adapter ring in your shot, even if you're using a camera without a full frame sensor (Rebel XT et al.)

That's why wide-angle lenses like the sigma 15mm use rear-mounted gelatin filters.

Thats a reasonable idea although i don't like the idea of losing the corners.
You think it would give bad flare and internal reflection effects due to the differing distances away from the front element?
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Keith,

I have almost a 1000 jumps on my Sigma 15 and it is still in mint condition..
I keep the lens cap on as long as possible, I dont take it off untill I am ready to put my helmet on.

You take your chances with the lens, but I can say that lens is tough.. mine has seen some really rough times and the glass is still in amazing shape.
No scratches.. nothing.. just jump it as is.. it will be fine.

Iwan

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. Think I'll just jump that bad boy and quit worrying so much about it.

Iwan, great to hear from you. Hope to see you out our direction this season.

Be there for the Holiday Boogie, and you might just run into me B|