imstu

Lens for PC1000

Hello Guys and Gals,
I recently bought a PC1000 and would like to start shooting video on my jumps. I bought the camera used and it came with a Tokina .45X AF Digital Wide Angle Lens with Macro. Is anyone familiar with this lens and is it suitable for skydiving? I've read on here that ia .45 would only be good for close in work, but I'm planning to use it while I am doing RW anyway. Not looking for that killer perfect money making video, just recording what happened during the daily funnel. I will be using a Sidewinder helmet and probably a Hypeye. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time. Stuart.

I've read on here that ia .45 would only be good for close in work, but I'm planning to use it while I am doing RW anyway.

A ".45" is a conversion lens, it takes the camera's focal length and changes it by 0.45, but it doesn't force you to use a specific focal length on the camera. So if the image angle is too large, you can always zoom out and get a smaller image angle. If you think the image angle is too large even on max zoom, you don't need a conversion lens. ;)

I know nothing about that Tokina, but if it has moving parts (like filter holder or whatnot), put some tape around it, otherwise I doubt there would be any problems with it.

try it, if you're happy with it, great, if you're not happy with it well get something else...

PC1000 has a verry narrow field of view anyways. But as a quite "high quality" camera, it would be a pity to add a crappy lens to it.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

PC1000 has a verry narrow field of view anyways

Compared to what?

I compared my PC1000 side by side with a friend's PC109 or something (can't remember exactly which model) and the 1000 is MUCH wider. My PC1000 with a waycool .45 lens was almost as wide as his camera with a diamond .3 lens.

Dave

I compared my PC1000 side by side with a friend's PC109 or something (can't remember exactly which model) and the 1000 is MUCH wider. My PC1000 with a waycool .45 lens was almost as wide as his camera with a diamond .3 lens.

According to the specs, the PC1000 has the equivalent of a 48mm focal length on a 35mm camera. The PC107/109 has 43mm, the PC5/9 has 42mm.

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have a ton to learn about jumping with a video camera. Mostly how to use it. You know, the technical stuff like "how to turn it on" etc. Does anyone have suggestions for settings to get me started? Thanks again for the help!
Stuart

frst before trying anything in the air with it, play A LOT with your camera on the ground, try with the autofocus, with manual focuszooming in and out, following people in motion etc, play with various lighting conditions etc etc...
Also visit all the menus of the camera and try by yourself. You'll learn at the same time how creative you can be with it.

Good luck, have fun... and post your results every once in a while.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What is the part number for the .6 sony lens? I can't seem to find it on Sony's site. Will it accept a filter? I would like to put a clear one on it just to protect it. Another stupid question; what kind of tape do you use for the outside of the lens? The heat out here is a killer! Good old duct tape melts in a hurry. Thanks again for the answers!
Stuart