jsaxton

Lens matching

What is the video cam the still camera and the wide angle lens? The Sony .6 is wider then some .45's and .5's.... Its really hard to guess but lots of people here might have the combo and give you first hand expereinces.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yeah, it depends quite a bit on both the cameras and both the lenses. As indicated by the 'x' in '0.5x' or '0.43x' it's a multiplication factor. For example...

I have a couple sony pc-105s, their spec focal length is meaningless for comparison to still cameras because their image sensors are so small. But, with a little googling I've found they have a "35mm equivalent focal length" of about 50mm when zoomed all the way wide. On one I have a stealth 0.5x and the other a diamond 0.3x yielding equivalent focal lengths of about 25mm and 15mm respectively.

My still camera is a RebelXT which has a sensor that is, although larger than the image sensors on the video cameras, still smaller than 35mm. Again, a quick lookup tells me it has a focal length adjustment factor of 1.6x. Combined with a 15mm lens, that yields an equivalent focal length of 24mm.

Sure enough, my still camera has a little bit wider field of view than my pc105 with a 0.5x lens, and a pretty significantly narrower field of view than the one with the 0.3x lens.

/edited to add: the 400D/Rebel XTi will have the same size image sensor as the 350D/Rebel XT (22.2 x 14.8 mm) and will thus incur the same 1.6x adjustment factor.

"I currently have a Kenko 0.5X on video"

Unfortunately, all Kenko 0.5x lens are not the same either. I used a Kenko SGW05P for years which is listed as a "0.5x Pro" lens by Kenko and costs $60 to $80. When it started flaking stuff inside the lens I bought a $25 Kenko SGW05 lens. I used the same thread adapter for both lens and they are both on the same TRV18 and the pro lens was wider than my Digital Rebel so for tandems, I would have to back out a couple of feet to catch their hands. The cheap Kenko lens matches the 18-55 lens that came with the camera set on 18 almost exactly.

I guess you just need to get your cameras and borrow from friends the lens you might be interested in or try to buy them from somewhere with a liberal return policy. I never seem to get around to returning anything unless it was incorrect or broken when I got it so I don't know who to suggest. That does remind me I need to get another pro lens from B&H so I can fly my exits tighter without videoing nose hair. Thanks.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."