freefallcrab

Mac recording is jerky

When I dump my footage back to the camcorder (PC9) or burn it onto CD (havent tried DVD as the machine doesnt have Superdrive) it starts out ok, then becomes more and more jerky. I am using a G4 powerbook running at 1.33GHz. It only has 512 Mb of RAM - could this be the problem? Am I looking at a GBP120 RAM upgrade to 1Gb?

One day I will finally get to burn quality DVDs (got my new LaCie d2 arriving today) and can stop filling up this forum with my problems :P

Use your wings Johnny....

1) Have you loaded any 3rd party software? Sometimes this can be the problem.

2) Go to the 'Utilities folder and do a 'Repair Permissions'. This can clean up your software hiccups (not related to #1 necessarily).

3) 512? You've got to be kidding me. Yes, you need more. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Do you have DiskWarrior? In addition to adding at least another 512MB, you might run DW as well.

Yeah, this too. I have it and it cleaned up my Mac very well (after several years of service and it slowing down alot....:P).

ltdiver

No I dont have DW - I will ask the other Mac using camera guys at the DZ tomorrow. I took delivery of a shiny new LaCie d2 Lightscribe today. Annoyingly the Mac system profile says 'disc burning - not supported'

I have trashed 10 DVD discs now (-R, -RW and a +R) burning various unrecogniseable files through Toast. Nothing plays through the DVD player attached to my TV.
>:(

if the video is more than 50 something minutes long, it was cause playback problems...

Very true if 1) not enough memory and 2) not enough HD space free.

ltdiver

Bob - thanks for the advice. I had already found them and I really like their memory advisor tool which allows you to identify exactly which chip you need for your model of computer. Prices compare favourably with other vendors too.

My G4 has 4 slots - 2 spare and 2 x 256MB chips. I understand that this model will take up to 2GB RAM. Are there any consideration when filling these spare sslots - do I add 2 more 256Kb to make a total of 1GB, or rip the old ones out and put 2 new 1 Gb chips in.?

I'm not a Mac person, so I can't give you a definitive answer. However, the Crucial site will!

When you're looking at the memory for your particular G4, scroll down to the bottom of the page. There's a 3-step guide. Step 2 tells you the info you need to know... if your G4 is in banks of 1, you can just buy additional sticks as you like. If it's in banks of 2, each pair needs to match, but the pairs can differ.

So, for example, you could buy 2x 512MB and end up with 2x512 + 2x256= 1512MB. Or you could throw out the 256MB sticks, and replace them with 4x512MB, giving you 2GB.