DSE

Article on video/skydive

I like that someone with such a passion for videography (and pretty well connected I might add) is getting into skydiving. I am glad your having a great time and its good for our sport to have more experienced individuals behind a camera!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Nice work Spot! But now you have me wrestling with the question: Did I make the best choice with the HC3, or should I have gone with the A1U?:S

Well, either way, it'll be a step up from my PC-100!

Cheers!

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

As far as the A1U vs HC3...in our production world, the HC3 has absolutely zero place whatsoever. No audio input, no audio monitoring, no timecode, nada... It has a unique DSP that in very specific situations is superior to the A1, but those situations are rare in the production world.

On the skydiving side, there are choices that we don't have on the production side. The HC3 is great for skydiving. Other than the 32mm thread vs the 37mm thread, it's a super great cam, because in skydiving, you really don't need audio input, timecode, phantom power, DSP control, internal color modulation, audio monitoring (when was the last time you wore headphones plugged into your TRV during a skydive?;))

So, the HC3 is pretty ideal for skydiving and keepoing around for those "Wow" moments. We used some of the footage from the HC3 for B-roll for the TLC project, and we've used break footage from the HC3 for some other extreme sports, and will be shooting a LeMans event next week where we'll likely put an HC3 on a car as a crash cam. I don't mind losing a 1500.00 cam in a crash vs a 5000.00 or 2700.00 cam or our bigger, more costly cams.

So...did you make a mistake? Only if you plan to make serious video OUTSIDE of skydiving, did you make a mistake.

Great article..

Is the whole video (with all the footage from the different camera's) available for viewing (in high res.) somewhere?

The small compressed clip on the news-website doesnt do the footage justice..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Unfortunately, Wild Weddings will not allow the HD footage to be posted, and since they're the contractor, they determine what can/can't be posted. However, we do have some documentary footage, and we're likely going to get permission to post that. It was not shot as part of their camera wishlist.
I'll re-up this thread when/if we're permitted to post it.