freeflir29

ATTENTION: Important time sensitive info for Sony owners

I was just looking for a repair facility for my PC-105 when I ran across THIS info. I haven't even read it all yet but it seems that there is a class action suit involving faulty CCD's on Sony cameras. Includes a SLEW of models both still and video. Here's the web site. I'll post more as I read it.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_ViewStatic-Start?page=%2fstatic/legalNotice/legalNotice#list

OK........read some more. You don't have to do anything to be included in the class action. You only have to do something if you want to OPT OUT of the class action for some reason. Says Sony will repair the failed CCD or reimburse you for it if you have already had it repaired. Of course, proof of payment is necessary. As long as your CCD fails prior to Oct of next year you can claim it. Here's the settlement home page.

www.SonyStyle.com/ccdsettlement

OK........read some more. You don't have to do anything to be included in the class action. You only have to do something if you want to OPT OUT of the class action for some reason. Says Sony will repair the failed CCD or reimburse you for it if you have already had it repaired. Of course, proof of payment is necessary. As long as your CCD fails prior to Oct of next year you can claim it. Here's the settlement home page.

www.SonyStyle.com/ccdsettlement

FWIW, it's not *just* CCD failure, but rather CCD failure that exhibits one of 6 specific behaviors. This is related to bad CCDs Sony bought from a 3rd party vendor. If you get into the professional video forums, you'll find thousands of posts about this over the past 2 years. Sony is liable for the lifecycle plus 2 years on these cams, which means up to October 31 of 2007. The downside (IMO) is that Sony wasn't required to accept cameras that were manufactured in this time period, to inspect for potential failures. So, if your camera pukes after November 1, 2007, you're screwed. On the other side of the coin, we have several rental VX and PD series cams that meet this list, an d haven't seen any that exhibit the problems.

AndyMan beat you to it. ;)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2150049;search_string=sony%20lawsuit;#2150049

I also received a written copy of the settlement in the mail back in March as well. Thankfully my TRV22 isn't having any issues, so didn't need to send it in.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon