freefalle

Rebel XT, D20, D30 ?

I currently own the rebel xt, Im happy with it, but I have been given the change to upgrade to the D20 or even the D30. Has anybody played with the D30 to have an opinion on it yet. If you already own the XT and you had the chance to upgrade, would you take it??

I also own a RebelXT. I use it on the ground more than in the air. I've played with the 20D, and for use on the ground it's MUCH nicer, nicer to hold, nicer controls. However the picture quality is about the same. I haven't played with the 30D, but it looks like a nice update to the 20D.

I choose the XT because of it's smaller size, weight and cost. It's not bad on the ground just not as nice as the others, but it's a trade off i'm happy with for now.

I think a lot of the benefits of the 20D/30D are lost in the air. People will jump in and yell about the faster frame rate and larger buffer, but i'm not into firing off as many shots as possible in the hope that I get something decent.

The 20D/30D have a Magnesium body, the XT is some sort of plastic. The 20D/30Ds shutter has a longer life, so they are a more durable camera too.

Would I take the upgrade? ... if it was free ... i'd probably go for a 30D and deal with the extra weight, but if you are not really into Photography in general you don't need the extra weight and size in freefall.

Here is a comparison between XT and 20D
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

Edited to add, you will need to modify your remote switch to work with the 20/30D. You can buy a cheapo remote from Ebay, cut the cable off it and splice it onto your existing switch.