RedKite

Sony HDR-HC3

Hi Spot

Nice to see those jump numbers rising!

I bought myself an HC3 yesterday and I am in the process of deciphering the instruction booklet. I am going to top mount it on a flat top. The on/off switch is in a good position and easy to locate. As you know, there is a clear red 'recording' light on the front.

Although I had intended going the cameye route, now I have the camera I would prefer to utilise the LANC for taking stills which you can do while the camera is recording. I note your comments about attempting to do this with the LANC. If this is not possible, would there be some way of remote operation for the camera 'still photo' switch. Reaching around to press it is clearly not an option.

Regards

Red Kite

I'm thinking there is a way to customize this, but since it's the holiday weekend, I can't reach the guys in San Diego to find out. I've got mine with me tho, anyone know of a good DZ in the Duluth, GA area?;) (here for a graduation)

Anyway, I'll play with it more tonight after the Mrs goes to bed, and see if I can come up with ideas.
We've been jumping both of ours like crazy after I've seen what it will do. Just wish it had an audio package, then it would be the ideal small rental/crash cam.

Spot

Thanks - I'll monitor for your reply in case any good ideas spring to mind.

I see what you mean about the viewing screen. I'm going to put a 'roll cage' on the camera and design a little gizmo to hold the screen shut - if not it will flap around in freefall as you say.

Nothing's ever simple!!!

Regards

Red Kite

I...I've got mine with me tho, anyone know of a good DZ in the Duluth, GA area?;) (here for a graduation).

Skydive the Farm in Rockmart, Ga...west of Atlanta
Skydive Monroe in Monroe, Ga...east of Atlanta
Skydive Atlanta in Thomaston, Ga...south of Atlanta
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Thx, Pops. I went to Skydive Atlanta while I was there. I'm assuming they were having a bad day. I walked in, nary a word from anyone. I'm not used to that at a DZ, usually it's "Hey, how are ya" sort of thing. Was reasonably busy, but I didn't feel the vibe, so chose not to jump.
RedKite, I've ordered an HC42, and going to rip it apart to lose the zoom feature, and will keep the still and video on/off feature. I wish you could use just a CamEye to start the vid and a vacuum switch for stills.