321Cya

First stills camera. Any recommendations?

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy my first stills camera. As I'm new to freefall 'stills' photography I would like to know what you guys think and recommend.

I will not use the camera professionally (eg. Tandem), but for hobby use only (mainly freefly and BASE jumping)! I especially wonder if use for BASE jumping will or should make a big difference in the choice of camera (weight, type of lens?).

I would also like to know why and if digital 'is' or 'is not' the way to go?

Thanks.

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

Hi Joris, I had a 350d (Rebel XT) from Canon and was a great camera... Good quality, quite performant and not too expensive.

Gotta get a new one on www.architronic.com or .ch can't remember. I think they have the best prices for these kinds of stuff in Switz (if you're still over here). Got a Sony PC1000 for 1300 CHF (around 1600-1700 in considered cheap shops)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks guys. A few more questions...

What size is the standard memory card that comes with it?

Would I need an additional lens for use as described in my first post?

Does the bracket to set it up for use on the helmet comes with it? If not, what does this cost?

cheers,

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

Yes I am mate! And it looks like I will for quite some time as Dani and I got engaged last week. We will get married possibly next summer...:).

Thats some good news dude... Cool.. Big hugs and kisses to both.

The origin lens in the kit 18-55 is already quite fun and very light. after that depending on what distance you want to shoot, some other lenses are nice Canon or Sigma 10-22 for very close (you can see some on www.piis.ch ).

For cards, I had a SanDisk Ultra II 256Mb (which was in the camera when it was stolen) and a 1Gb which I still have (hopefuly...) . The inconvenient with bigger cards is you have LOADS of pics on them and after it takes you longer to download on the computer.

Check shops like interdiscount and stuff like that which are usually quite cheap, and check Architronic.ch...

For the mount, to add one to the above mentionned : Manfrotto (cant remember the number... the plate was on the camera too... must get a new one)

Congrats again for Daniela and yourself...

See ya hopefully at an exit point soon...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Can you anyone tell me the difference between the two cameras on the attached pictures? I couldn't find any on several product descriptions that I found online.

They both seem to be 350D models, but the silver one is called 'Rebel XT'.

What other differences are there between the two?

cheers,

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

They are the same camera. The model number is different depending on the market. For example, it's the 350D in the US, but it's the Rebel XT in Canada.

It is available in silver or black, there is no difference other than the colour.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg