ArnoSchutte

Fogging Lenses...

Like mentioned in my other post that ltdiver linked to, this does work for me.

Once the plane is a little higher and the air is cooler or dryer, I take the lens off and let it dry / air out. Works best when sitting near and holding it up to a vent or by the door. It only takes a second to screw the lens back on so this has been a pretty easy fix for me.

I haven't tried Cat Crap yet, but am going to try to get a hold of some and give it a go as well, for the front of it.

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

so you'd have to demolish the lens to get to it

All I'm doing is getting the lens into cooler dryer air for a couple of minutes.

This really does work for me. It may even work without taking the lens off the camera, I don't know, it's just easier for me to take the lens off. All I do know is once I started doing this that sort of fogging stopped being a problem.

I have taken one of my Sony .6 lens' apart before (partly out of curiosity & partly to see if I could clean it inside). Wasn't a problem, screwed the cap off took the lenses out & put it back together.

Edited to say: I think Sony has more than one .6 lens, The one I'm speaking of is the VCL0625 (??? guessing a little bit here)

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

so you'd have to demolish the lens to get to it

You -could- put the lens in a low temperature oven and bake the moisture out. First drill a pin size hole in the side of the lens (be careful) then put it in the oven. Not sure of the time, but it -can- work for getting moisture out of the inside of the lens.

The lens probably would not be usable in the air again, but it could be used for ground without a problem. (give as a gift to a wuffo? ;))

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Hey there,
I had a similar problem on a Kenko 0.43x lens I use on my PC330 during the hazy new england summer. The problem is that once you open the lens (i.e. unscrew the rings and remove the lens components), you expose the interior to moisture (normal humidity contained in the air). This moisture gets trapped inside the lens.. and in warm or cold weather.. will redepositi itself on the glass surfaces INSIDE the lens assembly. Once this moisture is inside and inbetween the component lenses.. it's nearly impossible to get out. Baking it out is a good idea.. or bring it inside an extremely dry environment (such as next to an air conditioner). Clean all the lens components and dry thoroughly, then reassemble the lens. To test it.. cup the lens in your hands (without touching the glass parts) and hold it there for about a minute. If the interior of the lens fogs.. then you didn't do a good enough job of drying out the interior.. repeat the above steps. If it DOESN'T fog.. then you're good.. Gaffers tape the shit outta all the rings and such.. cover it until nothing is left but the glass components and threads to attach it to the camera. Smile :)

Blue Ones.. good luck
Tan-I, AFF-I, S&TA, Freefall Photographer, Skydive University Coach