BASE841

Which of These Cameras Will Work?

I'm getting ready to make the switch from film to digital. Any opinions on the following still cameras? I'm trying to balance performance (MPs, shots per second) cost (from $479 to $949) and weight. I know the XT will work just fine, cuz that's what our senior camera flyer on our DZ uses, but it is a little large and pricey. I'm not sure if the others will even work. In decending order of price and (I think) weight:
-Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
-Nikon D50
-Nikon Coolpix 8400
-Canon Powershot Pro1
-Sony DSC-V3
-Canon Powershot S2 IS
-Sony DSC-H1

Thanks for your collective wisdom!

The most important question is...

What camera system do you use now?

If you're using Canon, stick with Canon and go with a Digital SLR like the Digital Rebel, Digital Rebel XT or the 20D (or pick up a used 10D)

If you're already using Nikon, get a D70s or a D50 (if that takes a remote)

Iwan

If you're worried about costs but tempted by the 350D (canon XT) the 300D is a compromise. It lacks a little in the fps dept but other than that it's all but identical to the XT and only shy 1.7 megapixel (6.3 ought to be enough usually anyway)... for this you get to save several hundred bucks.

There's no possible way to remote-control the D50, unless Harbotronics can do a mod for you. Check out the D70s or D70 (older so cheaper if you can find one, but only way for remote is infra-red or Harbotronics mod) instead.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

the D70s DOES have a simple three wire remote that can be modified to fit a plug/switch from conceptus.

It does, but so far I haven't yet seen one of those remotes, not in stock anywhere in this country :S[:/]

I saw one this weekend, one of our camera fliers got the D70s

I must say, a very nice camera, but I already knew that from the D70.. which was very cool as well.

Iwan

it took a bit to get it in, but jimmy tavino picked it up from a local camera shop. i believe he has it all sorted out & ready to go. or at least close. matt

I bought a Nikon D70S about a month and a half ago. Traded in sony Hc-85,,, added a few hundred bucks cash, and got the camera with an 18 - 70 lens....
wow:o.......... fast....B|...takes multiple shots.. one after another... fast...
( i have a 1 gig 80 x c f card)

then YES about 3 weeks ago the MC-DC1 wired remote came in . i had one on back order...It was less than 30 bucks.... and is very basic.. ( no pc board ) I recently was able to wire a conceptus tongue switch into the Nikon remote..
The plug-in for the remote itself is different than the stereo pin on the conceptus..... i hard wired the t switch onto the cable with the male connector, which then goes to the camera body....
For the most part.. it works good..
In shooting mode " S " I seem to be able to fire the shutter just about as fast as i want.. In Auto Mode,, same thing,,, except that IF the built in flash opens and fires,,,, the camera will not fire another shot again,,[:/] until it is shut off and then powerd Up again,,,>:(... I have not bought a speedflash for the camera yet,,, so Not sure how THAT will affect the shutter activation...
I went to buy a second MC-DC1 Nikon remote and they were all gone.. I AM on a Back Order List and hope to get a Back up remote.. soon..
Nikon also makes a wireless remote..ML-L3, which is compatible to this camera...
I called to find that they are available AND only around 20 dollars..... and so I might try to get one today... Though I am not sure how useful that remote ( wireless) will turn out to be.... Still I am encouraged by the set up which I have . The conceptus switch direct spliced into the wired remote... saved having to "go into the body of the camera" and mess around with soldering and disconnect or reconnect,, etc etc..:S:P:)
I'm not in a hurry to void a warranty......
Nice camera,, about 1 and a half pounds,, I am top mounting it on a bonehead BatRak... It will take the place of a sony VX-1000 and will sit side by side with a trv27......I have not had a chance to jump it though..... I'm almost fully recovered from a dislocated right shoulder :(and as soon as I'm comfortable that I can deploy and pull toggles,, I'll try out the D70s in the air...... for now... I'll just be the "idiot who is walking around with a camera in his hand and a wire running from IT into his mouth..."
I'll be the one with a stupid grin on his face,, as he takes multiple exposure photos,,, here there and everywhere... :ph34r::)the Nikon D70S..... a hand held digital computer with a brain,,, and an EYEBALL.....Far smarter than Me....and able to save images instantaneously....( the cf card seems to be able to hold hundreds..)
"Look " " Up in the air !!" "It's a bird ! " " It's a plane" ... No.... it's Jimmy !!!.. hahahhhahahahah

Nikon also makes a wireless remote..ML-L3, which is compatible to this camera...
I called to find that they are available AND only around 20 dollars..... and so I might try to get one today... Though I am not sure how useful that remote ( wireless) will turn out to be....

You can only aim the remote from the front of the camera. Not very useful IMO, so I've seen people put up a little mirror on the lens :)
I use mine for my biteswitch, don't want to send my D70 for the mod just yet (warranty). Don't have the cash for a D70s so this'll have to do. I only get slightly over 1 fps this way but it works and it's still a great camera.

ciel bleu,
Saskia