AirCanada

Hard drive / micro drive functionality @ altitude.

Can someone explain exactly what the issue is here?

I have seen the explanation, that there is an air "cushion" somewhere in the HD, that at lower air pressures isn't enough of a "cushion" anymore, so the HD won't function. So, if this is correct HD or Microdrive based camera systems won't work at, say, everest base camp.

Or, that some of the components are gravity sensitive, so don't work well in freefall (irrespective of altitude).

The reason for my question is that I have been looking at a camera system using the Sony High Def bullet cam, connected to a Archos AV400 AV recorder. I hear references to this being unusable at altitude / in freefall... but don't really understand why...

I'm aware of the resolution limitations, but the small size & light weight are advantages, as is the bullet cam set-up; as skydiving is pretty much the only activity where you have the luxury of nothing to hit your camera (risers and other jumpers excluded).

Thanks.

Best explanation I've been able to find so far:

The following came directly from IBM Support in answer to a user who was thinking about using the microdrive on a vacation in Napal:

The Microdrive does need "AIR" to float the heads and typically above 10,000 ft the mass of the air is too low and the drive requires a pressurized environment similar to an aircraft or spacecraft. At high altitude the air bearings begin to loose support from the air molecules needed to provide the "air bearing" for the Negative Air Bearing Surface (NABS) design of the head. If this "air bearing" is removed or lowered (as is the case with low density air at high altitudes) the head damages the media and you could have loss of data. The drive is vented to maintain equal pressure inside and outside to provide the air and to maintain the same pressure. This eliminates the need for sealed and rigid covers that can tolerate pressure differences.

The OEM Functional specification defines the warranty range for operating altitude as 3,000 M or 9,000 ft (3ft/M). If the customer is mountain climbing with a GPS or digital camera above 9,000 ft the drive might have problems. (Mt Fuji ~ +13,000ft, Mt Raineer ~ +14,000 ft). Please note, this is the operating environment. Non operation at high altitudes, including vacuum, have no ill effects on the microdrive. Within passenger aircraft, the cabin is pressurized to 9-10,000 feet hence the drive would experience no difficulty operating in an aircraft cruising at 35-45,000 ft !

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

Thank you.

Good Info.

... Now, does the same thing apply to actual hard drives?

Such as are used in the Archos recorder / player (100GB hard drive), or ones ipod for that matter?

I've been listening to my ipod in the plane & in freefall lately (~14k - ~16k)... seemingly no problems with playback...

Such as are used in the Archos recorder / player (100GB hard drive), or ones ipod for that matter?

I've been listening to my ipod in the plane & in freefall lately (~14k - ~16k)... seemingly no problems with playback...

In one of these threads someone reported that alpine hikers have had a lot of failures with the ipods due to altitude. I think the continuous running of the hard drive for an mp3 device increases the likelihood of failure.

I know many who have done fine with microdrives at the tops of California 14ers. The pressure difference between 10k and 15k isn't that huge, seems like it should be within tolerances still. But with a 2 gig CF as cheap as it is...

You have 25 jumps according to your profile ,I dont think you should be listening to music in freefall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................