ChrisDykstra

My batteries go flat really fast...EOS300 Not Digital

My batteries (CR2) in an EOS300 film camera keep going flat within a week or two. I have a feeling that the tongue switch is draining the power even when the camera is turned off.

It seems strange that the tongue switch would drain power when turned off but I just wanted to know if any of you guys and girls out there have suffered the same problem. This is really beginning to *&(# me off as I have already gone through 2 sets of batteries in a month.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments as to what the cause could be...or do you agree with my observation that the tongue switch could be the cause of the problem.

Thanks,
Chris

Are you sure you're turning the camera off between uses?

I've had this issue with various cameras and with some the only way to really turn them off is to remove the batteries.

The switch itself -shouldn't- have anything to do with power drain since it's a simple contact closure. If you're not closing the switch, no current ought to be flowing through it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Quade,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am definitely turning the camera off between uses and more importantly at the end of each day so I have no idea what is happening...perhaps I keep getting a bad batch of batteries but to have 2 sets go in just over 2 weeks seems strange.

As you say the switch shouldn't be draining any power due to the fact that it is a simple contact closure. I am using an original Canon RS-60E3 remote switch, have cut the wires and soldered to a small push button, which was purchased from a local electronics store.

I might give Canon a call and see if they can shed any light. Prior to using the stills camera for skydiving I had a set of batteries in there for well over 6 months. I am just getting frustrated with having to buy new batteries every week or two.

I may take your suggestion and simply remove the batteries at the end of the day to preserve them.

Thanks again,
Chris :)

I have used that model extensively and battery drainage seems to depend on which way your switch is wired. If you have the common and the meter leads joined and the shutter on the make when the tongue switch is closed then this is a real major power draining situation if the plug is left in and the mode switch is left on.
From the best info I can gather it seems that it is possible to wire the switch with the common on one pole of the tongue switch and shutter and meter on the other because the meter is fast enough to do its job at the instant the switch makes.
This still leaves the possibility for a potential difference (voltage) between the meter and shutter release wires which can still cause a battery draining situation when the switch is plugged in or the camera is on. I have opted for the former which allows permanent metering and I switch my camera on just before climb out and off again after opening.
This has allowed for maximum battery life from this unit and guaranteed metering perfection but does require a little discipline.

It also requires a mounting system that makes this easily possible.

For those who are interested, you can see the newly released range of mounting/protective cover systems on the Way Cool web site for really protective and useable set ups for the latest canon digi SLRs.(300D, 20D and 350D)

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au