base736

Opinions on camera repair?

A few months ago, I dropped my video camera onto concrete from maybe three feet up. Since then (I'm pretty sure it started then...), the audio and video have been glitchy, and it's getting slowly worse -- beeps in the audio, and digital messiness in the video. Anyway, since so many people jump video, and fail to baby their cameras, I thought somebody might be able to help with a couple of questions:

First, does this problem sound familiar? Anybody have an idea what might be up here?

And second, what's everybody's experience with camera repair? Particularly if you've had a problem like this one before, how long can I expect the camera to be in limbo? What do repairs typically cost (if there is a typical)? Do service people usually freak out about surface mods (stuff glued on, port covers cut off)?

Thanks!

Is it a Sony camera? Sony will repair your camera for a flat fee of $269.00. They actually contract out Precision Camera to do the work.
I have known about 5 people to send in their camera for repair and they received them back in about 10 days.
I sent mine in and it took 8 weeks. They had to order 2 new boards for it so I definately got my moneys worth out of it. It sucks that it took so long though.
I had a list of about 10 items that they needed to fix and it was all covered under the flat fee. My boyfriend sent in his camera to get repaired a couple of years ago, the thing basically didn't work at all. Just got a black screen and some audio when you tried to record and they fixed his right up too.

I replied to your friend's post on rec, but I thought I'd reply here too for everyone else's benefit...

Make sure you are using tapes that are compatible with your camera. Not all MiniDV tapes are the same. I have a JVC camera and when I bought Sony tapes I had problems similar to the ones you described. When I went back to JVC tapes the camera worked fine. Sorry, can't help with the second question.

I just bought a used pc3 that was kind of messed up. When I got it, it would record a little bit of blue screen when you hit the button before it started recording right. Then I dropped it and it quit working altogether.

I took it in to Mark's Photo and they sent it in to Sony and for $240 it came back 3 weeks later working just like new.

Most places will charge you $20 to send it in to see if it can be fixed and apply it to the cost if they fix it.

Mine definitely looks like a skydiving camera and nobody said anything to me about it.

Good luck!

Mine definitely looks like a skydiving camera and nobody said anything to me about it.

Ok, this baffles my mind. What does a skydiving camera look like? My TRV17, honestly, looks like it was just pulled out of the original packaging.

I do use a Bonehead D-Box though. Personally, I would say that mine looks virtually unused, though the wear and tear on the heads tells a different story...
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Make sure you are using tapes that are compatible with your camera. Not all MiniDV tapes are the same.

Thanks for your help! I had already bought a set of Sony tapes before reading your message, but as it turns out that's a different brand than I had had problems with. Just did a jump with the new tapes and the digital glitches are reduces VERY significantly -- they're almost gone. I'm going to buy a couple of tapes of the type I originally had and see if the situation improves further.

Ok, this baffles my mind. What does a skydiving camera look like? My TRV17, honestly, looks like it was just pulled out of the original packaging.

Straps cut off, panels covering popular ports trimed to allow easier access or removed completely, gaffers tape residue here and there...
Miami