FFlyer

A few questions about my first camera helmet

I see there is a thread about the FF2 helmet from 2kcomposites going on but I didnt want to hijack it with all my questions.

I haven't saved up enough money yet but by the time I have enough to buy a helmet and camera, I am expecting to have around 280 jumps, so I want to start the process of getting my first camera helmet and I cant help but notice the good things that have been said about the FF2. And I think it looks awesome ;) It is also the only helmet that I know of that has custom sizes ie: not just small, medium, large. Im quite a small guy so this is quite a bonus. (any other companies have this?)

The only thing is the price,...eeesh, its not cheap. Which brings me to my first question, would I be stupid buying a helmet that costs this much for a first helmet? Should a first timer such as me rather invest in a more expensive helmet later on rather? If so then what other helmets would you recommend instead?

I will contact someone from 2K directly about shipping etc, but has anyone ordered a helmet from them who lives somewhere other than the US or UK? I live in South Africa so im a bit worried about it getting here safely.

I see it comes in carbon fibre and glass fibre. Is there much difference aesthetically or functionally speaking? There is a fair difference in price.

Thanks

it comes in carbon fibre and glass fibre. Is there much difference aesthetically or functionally speaking?

I had the same questions
CF looks like CF !! it has that distinctive weave.
GF looks smooth....no weave.

Structurally....you should be more concerned with the inner lining.....which aint very much...
I dont think you can expect too much protection from impact with the outer shell in either....its the amount of padding in the liner that makes the difference.
That said I guess they are better than a plastic shell.
CF is stronger than GF....however it also fractures into much more lethal splinters when it fails (because its tougher)
If you are looking at a helmet in skydiving for anything other than very minor impact resistance, bumps,scrapes etc.....either the GF , CF version are not the ones to go for ! ( that goes the same for other GF and CF helmets with the same amount of lining....ie most of them)
I heard also that if you buy second hand ...avoid the 2K model that has no outer shell on the side the cam box is mounted........someone out there is still walking around with a nice imprint of a sony camcorder on the left side of his head after a rough landing.

Just what I have learned/researched in my hunt for the best helmet...If I have gotten it wrong please correct me.

...I think it looks awesome It is also the only helmet that I know of that has custom sizes ie: not just small, medium, large. Im quite a small guy so this is quite a bonus.

These helmets do fit great...you just provide the circumference of your head and they fit it to that.

The only thing is the price,...eeesh, its not cheap.

You do get what you pay for though...Greenies, if this part is in appropriate I apologize and will edit it out if needed, but I am a dealer for 2K and sell them at my cost (there is an ad in the classifieds also) so the price actually comes to less than comparable set-ups (a lot less than some!). I just really like their product and want to get more of them out there for people to see...I can worry about making money for my efforts later...

I will contact someone from 2K directly about shipping etc, but has anyone ordered a helmet from them who lives somewhere other than the US or UK? I live in South Africa so im a bit worried about it getting here safely.

You can order it through anyone and 2K will ship it direct to you...shipping to the US is 30GBP, I don't imagine it would be more than that to go to SA. If you get in touch with me I can check that for you...

I see it comes in carbon fibre and glass fibre. Is there much difference aesthetically or functionally speaking?

There is very little difference weight or strength wise between the two. Really the only reason to get the carbon fibre is if you want the carbon fibre finish (the clear coat over the carbon fibre). If you were going to get it painted any color the glass fibre would be the way to go.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions...if you have anything else feel free to email me.
Hope this helps...
Miami