velocityphoto

DVD MEDIA PRINTING

Is anyone having thier dvd's pre printed with boxes and inserts ? I've been kicking around the idea of having someone else do it ..

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Are you talking about mass producing via a printing company, or just home printing?

We're doing it oursleves, pre-printing up a bunch (like 50+ at at time) of inserts on a photo printer & regular paper, then putting them into the jewel cases, so when the time comes, it's just a matter of plopping the DVD in the case and it's done. The DVD's themselves are blank / no label. This way they look good, and don't cost much to do, more just the time of cutting to size.

We don't do the volume of the big centres, so this system seems to work fine for us.

I have played with the idea of using proper DVD boxes, but the cost of them is still a little high to warrant it as a regular thing (& they come from my company's warehouse). I will use them for "special" tandems like a relative etc.

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

I found this link the other day and thought it might be a nice idea but sounds pricey!? I need to call them and see an exact cost for like maybe 100 or 200 of these. I have some pre perforated matt finish inserts for the box, but i printed some of those with my epson and thought they looked like shit.

http://www.chicagodigitalpost.com/pre-packaging.htm

I know perris has this done i believe anyways? ,and the finished product is really super!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Responding to Fuzzy:

You can buy "slim" dvd cases in any walmart or office depot in 25 packs for about $0.40 each. For those doing low volume, it's an inexpensive way to package your product; so your customers can at least store their dvd on the same shelf as the rest of their movies. Easy to insert your custom printed labels; and the memorex branded boxes I've seen are clear, so double sided inserts can look pretty cool. Might be an affordable step up from cd jewel cases.

You could also invest a lightscribe drive, or use inkjet printable disks. A step up from a sharpie, but a requires a good bit of prep time. Of course, not the same results as available through outsourcing, if your volume and budget can afford to do that.

You can buy "slim" dvd cases in any walmart or office depot in 25 packs for about $0.40 each.....

Might be an affordable step up from cd jewel cases.

Yeah - I'll have to look into that some more, and will probably go that route once my current supply of jewel boxes are used up. Right now the jewel boxes are practically free for me, so it's always been hard to talk myself into switching over.

Admittedly, it will ultimately and make for a better package for the customers, which is all part of advertising.

The pricing shown on that web site would make it too expensive for us (especially since I'd be looking at Cdn $'s as well).

Our volumes are such that it's easy to do this ourselves plus my printer (and wife) do a nice job without much cost so out sourcing doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

The Epson R-200 Photo printer is under $100 and will print directly onto inkjet printable DVD's. I print up 50 blanks at a time, let them dry and then re-stack them back on the spindle.

You can get regular movie DVD boxes from Meritline.com for much less than what you will pay at a retail store. They also sell the blank inkjet printable DVD's and photo glossy DVD case inserts. Total cost after printing may be a buck more per DVD than what you are doing now with a free jewl case and a plain DVD but your product will look 100 times better. If you're that worried about the extra $1 pass it on the the customer.

Skydive Radio

I print them with a mass producer on printable media DVD's I got to produce the Dropzone.com boogie DVD's

PM me for a quote. I am a cheap as can be.

Whorishly so.

What you can do is pre-menu a single DVD with your "commercial" and I can print the DVD's with the graphics and the intro which you then dub the tandem to.

I'm sure anybody who does duplication can do this, but my overhead is nada.

Contact me if you're interested.

JP

What you can do is pre-menu a single DVD with your "commercial" and I can print the DVD's with the graphics and the intro which you then dub the tandem to.

How does this work ... multi-session (DVD-RW)? How do you author a menu for a title that doesn't yet exist?

BTW,

Great tip on meritline. Thanks.