CTSkydiver

Still Shutter Release with Visual Indicator?

My apologies if this is a really dumb question; but I searched the posts on this thread and only found one reference to a product with this capability but this was back in 2002, and meant mainly for aircraft mounted camera systems.

Has anyone since attempted adding a visual indicator to the remote that fires your still camera?

I started with a hand switch, and eventually upgraded to a tongue switch (roof of mouth); but went back to the hand because I couldn't feel the "click" in freefall. Now I'm jumping different aircraft, and really need to free up my hands for the exits (and for general convenience & safety), and have decided to try the conceptus tongue-switch this time. But I'm a bit worried; and was hoping to see if maybe someone has addressed this issue in the meantime.

Using my Nikon 2020 over the years, I had an incident once where my trigger shorted out (I guess) and I fired off all my shots before climbing out. Other times, I missed my shots because the camera must have not been "on" for some reason (bumped the switch, switch stuck half-way, single-fire mode instead of continuous, or the rca-jack between my helmet and jumpsuit came undone) ... these incidents could have been prevented (or at least I'd have been warned early enough to do something about them) ... if I'd had an LED for that.

In any case, by moving to a 350D and a mouth switch, it's pretty likely I won't accidentally use up all my film or knock loose the connection between helmet and suit ... but if a cheap LED is available I might be interested still, just for the extra confidence factor -- kinda like why I secured my cameras with a tripod screw, Super Velcro, AND some bungie cords...

I've also read where "you'll soon build confidence in your tongue" and maybe the light won't be necessary, which I guess I'll have to believe if the product doesn't exist yet ... must mean you guys don't need it, and that maybe I won't either. But as those who know me will attest, I've sometimes had trouble controlling my tongue and don't want to succumb to premature exposure.

But just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

The product doesn't exist because it won't really help you.

If your camera is not taking pics, what are you going to do? Stop the jump and start over?

Maybe with a digital camera, where you could could waste a frame or two in the plane to check the light, you might be able to do something, but again, are you donning your helmet early enough to check your camera, see a problem, get the helmet off, fix the problem and be ready to go when the door opens?

Maybe with a digital camera, where you could could waste a frame or two in the plane to check the light, you might be able to do something, but again, are you donning your helmet early enough to check your camera, see a problem, get the helmet off, fix the problem and be ready to go when the door opens?

I start my gear-up procedures at 10,000 feet. My SOP involves popping the flash on my digital rebel and taking a shot. I use the flash to give me a visual indicator that the camera is working. I pop the flash and take another shot on jump-run, which again reinforces that the camera is functioning and hasn't entered power-save mode.

I have once removed the helmet on jumprun, replugged the tongue-switch, and had enough time to put the helmet back on. Most issues that would prohibit the camera from firing are pretty simple to troubleshoot and fix.

I agree, a visual indicator of shots taken in freefall doesn't seem that valuable to me.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Actually, I thought it might be more valuable as a "getting used to a tongue switch training tool" than any other use. I agree it won't help much in freefall if the light indicates your aren't taking pictures.

However, I have been able to reach up and push the shutter release on the camera with my hand once when the RCA connection at the back of my neck (from my hand trigger) came loose filming a tandem. Felt it flopping around and figured I better make sure I take some pictures just in case.

More useful would it be as to letting me know if I was firing off pictures unintentionally ... as when my trigger shorted out. Or maybe my fat tongue rests on the switch when I don't realize it.

I know of the camRL, but that's $250 bucks. All I was interested in was an LED on the same circuit as the camera release. For a few extra bucks on the conceptus, would it be worth it then?

I know of the camRL, but that's $250 bucks. All I was interested in was an LED on the same circuit as the camera release. For a few extra bucks on the conceptus, would it be worth it then?

Why don't you invent it, then tell us how valuable it can be. Marketing...it's what we're all aspiring towards....:P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Just a thought would it not be possible to wire up an LED to a flash bracket, so it is like an off camera flash which will fire when you shoot? Not sure thats really practical but it would seem there is an output going on there that can be harnessed?

Possibly to complicated I do not know much about flashes but it must be possible

jezz

"Now I know why the birds fly"
Hinton Skydivers

What might be more useful would be a light over your eye which lights up when the access lamp is on (talking DSLR's here). This way you would know when your camera has finished writing to the CF card and you'd know you had a full burst facility back.

You could easily hook one up by using the old light sensor over the red record light trick people use on DV cameras without a lanc socket.