mwabd1

powerbooks

The new 8x SuperDrive with multiformat capability is pretty sweet, the 2x SuperDrive on my PowerBook is a real slug. You might want to wait a couple more months till Mac OSX Tiger is released though. Panther came out right after I bought my Mac and I wished I had known it was about to be released so I could have held off my purchase.

Apple just updated their web sit yesterday. The Panther O/S is now included. They have dropped the price on the 17" by 100 and the 15" by 300, as well as upgrading the processor to a 1.6. I went to buy one a couple months ago and am glad I waited.

Is anyone using Final Cut Express / Pro? I am going to get FC express, hopefully its not to complicated.

Panther is included but you may want to check out http://www.apple.com/macosx/ I'm sure Tiger will be included after it is released. Whether that would make the price go up I don't know. I kind of doubt it though Apple is trying to appear more affordable to the average PC buyer.

As for Final Cut Express, I use it all the time to create movies for the DZ. It is very easy to use and a very powerful program for the price. I know I've only used a fraction of its features so far. If you plan on doing a lot of viedeo editing you'll need an external hard drive. Between the movies and my music collection I chewed up an 80GB hard drive in no time. External drives are really cheap and work great for storing tones of footage.

Here's a couple examples of what I've done with my PowerBook G4 and FinalCut Express
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1909
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=1807

I had to replace mine in December...grrrr.[:/]

The new one is better than the one I had, but not as nice as the ones just annoucned... oh well, maybe when my wife gets a new one.:)

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

And it would still run Windows and....well, read this San Franciso Chronicle article which explains everything far better than I ever could.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

And it would still run Windows and....well, read this San Franciso Chronicle article which explains everything far better than I ever could.

IT explains everything. But it's still hogwash :D

I think OS X is a kick-ass OS. I was one of the last people I know of who kept using NeXTStep as long as possible. I really hated to see all of those NeXT boxes get pitched. I think it's entirely possible that everyone would now be using OS X / NeXTStep were it not for the fact that NeXT and Apple were HARDWARE vendors. Apple still is. So it doesn't matter whether OS X is or isn't a better OS than NT. What matters is that operating systems that are designed to run on proprietary hardware will NEVER be able to compete against NT for the corporate desktop platform. Linux may possibly succeed, but it's got a long way to go before the idiot in that article you quoted would be able to successfully install and use Linux;)

I'm not saying that I think NT is a superior OS to OS X or UNIX. What I am saying is that it is possible to do anything you need to do on non-proprietary hardware at lower cost. It just isn't true that Macs are inherently more powerful than Intel-based systems as the originator of this thread implied when he said that "It's still pricey but as far as making video's they blow the average PC out of the water!" That's just not logical:P. Only an idiot would try to use an "average PC" in order to make videos!B|

"It's still pricey but as far as making video's they blow the average PC out of the water!" That's just not logical. Only an idiot would try to use an "average PC" in order to make videos!

Alright sorry if I touched a nerve but........I'm not an idiot and I already have an over built PC on which I edit my videos on, but that PC is connected to the net and the wife and kids have access to it there by making me constantly unscrew it at least once a week. Apple's O/S has a good rep for resisting all of the nasty things that todays hackers / spammers / and spy ware makers can throw at it.

What I am saying is that it is possible to do anything you need to do on non-proprietary hardware at lower cost.

Hector,

You're obviously someone who knows far more about computers than I ever will.

You can build a machine cheaper...but at what cost in time? I can't make more time for myself to do the things that I want to do on the computer. I use Windows machines enough to know how much time you can fritter away dealing with their idiosyncracies, viruses and spyware. I don't waste time on unnecessary stuff while using my Macs. For me, the saving in up-front dollars isn't worth the cost in time.

For someone who knows their way around computers and can deal with the issues and likes doing that sort of stuff, sure why not save the money. But, for people not inclined to want to learn how to do all that stuff a Mac is a far better choice of computer....imo.

For instance, I converted my mother-in-law a few months ago. She is so happy to have a computer that is always available instead of the Windows machine which her grandson (who is always over at her place using the computer) periodically reduced to an inoperable hulk with spyware and viruses.

Cheers,
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

"It's still pricey but as far as making video's they blow the average PC out of the water!" That's just not logical. Only an idiot would try to use an "average PC" in order to make videos!

Alright sorry if I touched a nerve but........I'm not an idiot and I already have an over built PC on which I edit my videos on, but that PC is connected to the net and the wife and kids have access to it there by making me constantly unscrew it at least once a week. Apple's O/S has a good rep for resisting all of the nasty things that todays hackers / spammers / and spy ware makers can throw at it.

No problem:)

What I am saying is that it is possible to do anything you need to do on non-proprietary hardware at lower cost.

You can build a machine cheaper...but at what cost in time? I can't make more time for myself to do the things that I want to do on the computer.

Cheers,

Look at a G4 on Apple's site; then take 15 minutes and go to Dell's site and configure a Dell Dimension XPS Gen4 for the same amount of money. Load it with RAM and multiple disks. In fifteen minutes you'll end up with a top-of-the-line system that will totally outperform any G4 and render videos in the blink of an eye! ;) You'll also have a system that will be upgradable, and won't require special tools to fix.