freeasabird

Anyone top mount cookie dbox for HC40 yet?

I am planning a first camera setup for future use (hopefully near future). My intentions are to do mostly freefly camera work. I have decided on going with a Sony HC40 top mounted on a RAWA Freefly Imagem helmet. I do not intend on using a ringsight at this time.

My question has to do with top mounting the dbox. I really like the cookie composites dbox (made specifically for the HC40) due to its lightweight (110 grams) and overall sleekness. My only reservation is whether or not it can be top mounted without major modifications being done. Considering how closely it appears cookie has molded their box to the HC40, might their be a problem getting the camera to fit when mounting hardware (i.e. bolt heads) is now taking up space at the bottom of the inside of the box? I would think that the original intent of the design of the box would be to have the bottom of the camera resting directly on the inside bottom of the dbox - with the mounting screw holding it securely in that position. Any additional hardware placed between the inside bottom of the box and the bottom of the camera would seem to cause poor clearance near the top of the box (i.e. lense not aligned with opening in box and lid not able to close).

Just wondering if anyone has tried top mounting this specific box and if so, have any problems been encountered?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
-----

I think you'll find that the box has a pad on the inside base and the mounting hardware is under that, I dont see any problems with it.
If you are still concerned, drop Jason a line at [email protected]
He'll sort out any concern you have pretty quickly:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yeah, I've been corresponding with Jason (or Jeremy") recently about the box. This is just something that occurred to me recently and I wanted to get a perspective from someone other than the manufacturer. Not that the folks at Cookie haven't been helpful...quite the contrary. They have been very quick so far to respond to any questions I have had.
-----