WayCool

Lens Choice

I've just ordered a 20D, can I be lazy and ask what fixed wide angles you guys with canon digi SLRs recommend. I like Sigma lenses and I think they do a nice 12mm non fish eye?

Can't wait to get this awesome bit of kit!

Stay Cool
http://www.waycool.com.au

Hi Grant! It's been a while since I spoke to you last, but I'm still having great fun & getting decent results with my Red & Blue Eye lenses!! B|

I've recently started jumping with a Rebel, and at present I'm just using the basic kit lens, but have been doing quite a bit of research on fixed lenses and it seems that value-for-money wise a lot of guys are getting good use out of the Sigma 15mm Fish-Eye on Digi Canons... because of the 1.6 conversion factor for digital, the Fish Eye distortion is not that prevalent because not all the lens is being used by the digital sensor (if I understand it correctly), so what you're left with is a good solid wide angle frame without much distortion at all.

Check out this thread

I'm sure you'll get more experience-related answers when the U.S guys start waking up, but just thought I'd pass on what I've picked up on!!

Cheers - Nick

Here's a pic with the 15mm sigma lens and a 10D. It seems to work pretty well.

Here are 2 pics (taken by Jason Peters) w/ an 8mm Fisheye, the distortion is pretty obvious on exit but not bad in freefall.

Sigma does make a 12mm-24mm lens that has about the same results as the 15mm but I don't have any photos with it.

My .02 get the 15mm Sigma

D

Clarkey - have you found any good deals in the UK for those lenses? I too am still using the lens that came in the box with the 300D but dont want it as my long term solution. I priced lenses in the 15mm range in the Oxford area and had to walk away shaking my head>:(

Use your wings Johnny....

Cost effectively, you have two options on wide angle: The Sigma 15 fisheye, and the Sigma 14 aspherical.

The 15 is a fisheye. With the magnification factor on the 20D sensor you lose most of that curvature around the edges. VDschoor shoots one of those, as does Peter Galli, I think.

I really like my 14 aspherical better, for all around use. I get tired of the rounding of fisheyes.

The big plus of the aspherical is it's huge wideness, but somehow managing to keep everything straight. Another disadvantage of the 14 is that it is HEAVY. Diablopilot uses the 14 also.

Here's a picture I specifically got the 14 to do for me. It didn't disappoint

These are 4 pretty good sites for shops based in the UK that I cross-check most prices against. I only have experience of dealing with the first 2 listed below (both good):

£349.99 - Park Cameras

£299.00 - Bristol Cameras

£314.99 - Foto Sense

£314.99 - College Cameras

Let me know if you find cheaper! Or just get a mate to bring you one back from the U.S if you know anyone going over anytime soon!

Awesome Herc shot mate, that lens is impressive!

Thanks for the imput everyone! There's gonna be some $$$$ spent here I think!!!

One thing I like about the 15mm fish eye is that I can stick it on my 35mm EOS body and get the real creative shots if I want!
I'll look at the price difference the 14 aspherical is amasing by the looks from that herc shot. Bet you wish it was flying away from the sun!

Cheers guys

Stay Cool

Another option it the Tokina ATX Pro 17mm. It 's a low distortion lens, and can be picked up pretty reasonably on ebay. One of the things I like about it most is that you can mount a front filter on it, both to protect the glass, and produce some nice effects.

This was with the tokina on a 300d with a cir-pol filter

Cheers,

Craig

Brother Wayward's rule of the day...
"Never ever ever go skydiving without going parachuting immediately afterwards."
100% PURE ADRENALENS

Hey Duece,

I'm pretty keen on the 14mm regardless of the weight. I've read a few reviews on it most of which mention problems with lens flare caused by the big rounded front element. How have you found this to affect your shots (noticed some in the herc shot) generally and do you know how it compares to the 15mm in regard to flare problems? I realised that this is inevitable on lenses this wide but I would like to make an informed choice.

Stay Cool

Well, at low light angles, you'll get flare off any lens. The other lens I use is a Canon 20mm, which I use for tandems and most RW.

Just about all my Herc shots were with the 14, so if you check my sig line you can get into my galleries and check out more than just the one I posted. Peter Galli and VDSchoor chose the 15, and you can compare my shots (and diablopilot's) to theirs and see what you like more.

I'm just not a fan of fisheye, and I'm pretty sure I'm about a year away from a $1499 D30 with the 20's speed and a full size sensor. At that time I will be glad I sprung for the aspherical, cause on a full frame, the 15 is pretty rounded all over. A plus on the current cameras is that the "roundness" caused by the 15 is cropped off. It's a real bargain, price and quality-wise as well.

Oh, the other problem with the 14 is fogging. It has never been a problem for me in California, but in Sweden I got condensation in the center of the outside of the lens from temperature change and humidity. You can't really put a filter on it (on the outside)