freefallcrab

Can't capture video with Premiere

If you have seen the thread I just opened asking for help with Movie Maker you will see I am not having a great time here! My work laptop (Sony Viao) has Premiere v 6 pre-loaded so I thought it would be good to have a look at it and if I liked it I could buy the software for my PC at home and move on from MS Movie Maker which is pretty limited ;) Trouble is, when I hook my Sony PC9 up to the Viao with a firewire and try to capture video I get a 'the DV device is unavailable for DV control' message. I have looked at the Help files and settings but am way out of my depth - can anyone suggest things I should look at to overcome this problem?

Use your wings Johnny....

Not sure if this is of any help to you or not. But I went to Adobe's website and looked at the Adobe Premiere's DV device compatibility database. The Sony PC9 is not listed as being compatible with the built-in DV support in Adobe Premiere.

Here is the link to check it out:

Click Here

Not certain if this helps you out or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Rylord
Kentucky Skydiving Center

Can you capture etc without premiere?
If so are your premiere capture settings correct?
You should be saving as a PAL preset, should be loaded into the capture settings as PALDV or similar.
Set device control to a generic sony try PC7 as this works with most rogue cams, and was an early cam.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Try connecting the camera to the laptop and switching it on before you turn on the laptop.
Then when the laptop starts up it should recognise the camera as a new dv device.
Keep the camera on and start Premiere and see if you can capture video.
Hope this helps
John