Pawl

Top mounting stills on Optik

I've been happily using my Optik with a sidemounted video, but now want to add stills on top
Any suggestions, comments or tips ?
I still have to buy the stills camera and so need suggestions / recomendations here too. For either 35mm or Digital stills.
"Africa is not for sissies"

Yep - from Quade's FAQ:

-------------------------------------
Q: How much experience should a person have before starting to fly camera?
A: 200 jumps and a USPA C-Licence or FAI equivalent is recommended. See USPA SIM Section 6-8.
-------------------------------------

So my suggestion - no offence intended - is don't do it for another few hundred jumps!

I know that you say

I've been happily using my Optik with a sidemounted video

But this might just be luck... and adding a stills camera more than doubles your chances of something going wrong... just my 0.02, which you are welcome to ignore given my limited jump numbers. :S

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Thanks for the input. Those thatt presently are jumping a top mounted stills on an Optik. What / how etc, did you mount ? Since my first post, I've been looking at the EOS 300D ?? Comments please.

I started with an Optik with a top-mounted DV camera. I then put a 300D on the top and moved the DV camera (d-Box) to the side. (Cameye II and a tongue switch). I'm pretty happy with the final setup, although if I had my time again I would have gone a bigger helmet - probably a Flat top pro). I've moved the 300D as far off-centre as I dare (which is not much at all) to compensate for the weight shift, and have it down to a managable level. I was a little concerned though with the width of the 300D vs the platform, and the chance for a riser strike up under a side of the camera.

I jumped two rigs there for a while, one of which has a fairly small yoke (built for a girl). Two riser strikes (the only two I have had in 100+ jumps of camera) in about 10 jumps on that rig changed my mind about using it anymore. One of the riser strikes had a fair go at knocking me out (was dazed for about 15 seconds maybe). Both turned the 300D 90 degrees on the shoe. I think the tongue switch cable stopped them moving more. The second snapped my tongue-switch cable. Switched back to my own custom rig, and haven't had a problem since (50+).

All-up, I'm happy the setup. It's solid, fairly hassle-free, and easy to work. I love the 300D - it's fantastic. I leave it on sport / auto focus / daylight conditions and it rocks along quite nicely. I love the DV (year old TRV). They are both pretty-much muppet proof.

Thanks Shivon. I've also been worried about the size of the mounting platform, hence my qustions. How did you mount it ? With a shoe (Goldmember) or direct ? Also, you mention moving off centre to compensate for weight shift. Could you explain that in a bit more detail ? I'm thinking about trying to fashion deflectors of sorts in case of riser slap :S

I mounted the 300D on a 'quick-shoe'. It's a japanese mount which is pretty compact. Works like most mounts - it has a bit that attaches to the platform of the helmet, and a bit that attaches to the camera screw. The camera bit then slides on rails and locks into the helmet bit.

My 'issue' with the mount is that it raises the base of the camera about half an inch above the top of the helmet, increasing the chance of a riser strike. I don't have a solution for this though. I don't want to add rails (etc) to the helmet to deflect risers, so I think the next 'mod' for me will be a new helmet. I would definatley be more comfortable with the camera sitting directly on the platform of the helmet, but I don't think it's practical for getting access to the camera battery for recharges, or for transporting the helmet / camera around.

I moved the 300D slightly off-centre to compensate for the weight of the TRV on the side of the helmet. I started with the TRV in the dBox, and then found the point at which moving the 300D (obviously the other direction) evens out the weight. Didn't take much horizontal displacement, but definately made a big difference to comfort (especially after a few loads).

Weight shift makes sense. Thanks, I'll definately apply it.I don't want to go the route of getting another helmet (altho it is the sensible route) also being over here in Africa we don't have the 'readily available' options that Europe, USA and Aus do. So I guess I'll just have to keep at it and make it safe and workable. You don't perhaps have any pics of your helmet full mounted ?

Thanks. I see what you mean about the shoe lifting the camera up high :S I think the goldmember is flatter (???) but may not allow the freedom to do the weight shift thing. Being pricing the DigiRebel and EOS 10D :S:S