mr2mk1g

New 2K Composites Camera Helmet

Here are some pictures of my housemate's (Sam's) new camera helmet from 2K Composites. 2k had a stall at the BPA AGM back in Jan where we had the oportunity to see some of their helemts close up. Steve the designer had just come up with a side mount mod for his FF1 open face freefly helmet. Well, my housemate talked him into designing him a top mount too and the finished result is attached. Sam's excited to have the first ever finished model.

Yes... he has a purple helmet.

This is the FF1 with a top mount mod, side mount mod, Cam-Eye II installed (behind the right ear) and chin cup. He figures he'll probably upgrade to the cutaway chin cup at some point (has a 2 ring circus) when he's not just about to go on a three week trip to the US. Our attractive model is sporting a PC101 and Canon Eos 500.

First two pics are at the 2K factory - Steve on the right, Rami on the left. Sam's the guy in red stood by our little cluster of helmets. The others are all self-explanatory.

Ok, if I understand correctly, the helmet shown is a FF1; therefore, no hinged hard box for the video camera like on the FF2? Seems like a lot of work for a mod when they make a product that already sidemounts the video camera. Not trying to be critical. I'm contemplating purchasing the FF2 right now.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Thats right, this not based on the FF2 that they also make but is an altered FF1 which is their "base" model helmet. Its also true that this does not offer quite the protection from line strikes or from damage to the camera that the FF2 offers. I can hardly argue against you - I did buy FF2 afterall. B|

The payoff is the FF1 with all four mods comes in arround £100 cheaper than the FF2. When you think about it, it's not that much effort to nock out a flat moulding that matches the curviture of the helmet and bolt it on. If you only wanted the side mount then it would come in even cheaper than that.

The other advantage is that you can buy the FF1 and then a later retro-fit the side mount when you start jumping camera and after that retro-fit the top mount if you want to add stills.

If you want ultimate protection, you cannot beat the FF2 but that protection comes at a price as you must expect. Whats posted here is a mid range camera helmet that's comprable in design to the majority of other helmets on the market. I don't think the two helmets occupy quite the same place in the market although both have the 2K excellent build quality.

Ok, if I understand correctly, the helmet shown is a FF1; therefore, no hinged hard box for the video camera like on the FF2? Seems like a lot of work for a mod when they make a product that already sidemounts the video camera. Not trying to be critical. I'm contemplating purchasing the FF2 right now.

You're right, it is a lot of work, but it's a cheaper alterative for those who can't quite stretch to the FF2 just yet, but still want the fantastic build quality of a 2KC helmet.

I'm the housemate BTW, it's my helmet :)
My helmet worked out a little over $200 cheaper than the FF2... and that means extra jumps in Perris next week ;)

Hey if ya want an FF2, lemme know, I'm a dealer....;)

Personally I'd recommend the FF2, because while the price isn't (nearly) as good as the FF1, it's much cleaner. You can actually take a line,, run it over the helmet from every angle (from the direction theyd be coming on opening) and there are NO snag points. I've done this on mine many many times, and it's amazing how smooth it is. It's also perfect if you freefly and have never flown a camera, because it's ready to jump right out of the box (tho I'd recommend tightening screws just in case, they may have loosened a little from shipping), and the angle is fixed to true line of sight. It's very good if you're just gonna do freefly camera work. Not to mention it's comfy as hell.

One thing though, this is a personal preference, but I'd recommend getting a new chincup for it. The ones they make are sturdy for sure, but I think they're a little uncomfortable because of the kind of padding they use.

Any other questions, PM me.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

One thing though, this is a personal preference, but I'd recommend getting a new chincup for it. The ones they make are sturdy for sure, but I think they're a little uncomfortable because of the kind of padding they use.

I agree with this. The chin cups comfort sucks. I hate having to buy another one for this reason, especially after spending so much cash to buy the helmet.

I agree with this. The chin cups comfort sucks. I hate having to buy another one for this reason, especially after spending so much cash to buy the helmet.

Yeah, I prolly shouldn't be saying this, being a dealer, but honestly I'd recommend switching out the default chin cup with a Bonehead. I find those to be a little better padded, and they form to your face better. Not dissing 2k, just being honest with our customers. :)

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

I remember katiebear saying in an earlier thread that she had heard that the chin cup had been re-designed. I forgot to ask when I was picking up our helmets but I can always do so next time I'm up that way.

My chin cup's very comfortable for what its worth, if they have been re-designed, it'd be one of the new ones as its only just been made.

The other thing to bear in mind is their cutaway system. I don't know of any others that use a ring circus and teflon cable just like on your risers to give the easiest possible cut away. As its an integral part of the chin cup if you want it you're gonna be using their chin cup.

Since you are a dealer I will ask you this. Have you had any customers complain about sighting the FF2 in with a ring sight. (The Cross sight) I have to offset mine to get the image to come out in the right place. For whatever reason when I sight it on the ground it is perfect, when I get in the air, the image comes out at top right hand corner. I have compensated for this and can deal with it, But I cant figure this one out. I have heard one other person say he had some similar complaints

Since you are a dealer I will ask you this. Have you had any customers complain about sighting the FF2 in with a ring sight. (The Cross sight) I have to offset mine to get the image to come out in the right place. For whatever reason when I sight it on the ground it is perfect, when I get in the air, the image comes out at top right hand corner. I have compensated for this and can deal with it, But I cant figure this one out. I have heard one other person say he had some similar complaints

That's interesting, I've never heard any complaints like this, but if you're having problems, I'm sure if you give Ram or Allie at 2k a call or drop them an email, they'll help you/give you advice on it. They're really good about responding to emails.

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

I remember katiebear saying in an earlier thread that she had heard the chin cups had been re-designed. I forgot to ask when I was picking up our helmets but I can always do so next time I'm up that way.

If you would, please do that, I haven't heard anything about it, and I'd like to know. I'm sure it's cuz they heard too much crap about it. B|

The other thing to bear in mind is their cutaway system. I don't know of any others that use a ring circus and teflon cable just like on your risers to give the easiest possible cut away. As its an integral part of the chin cup if you want it you're gonna be using their chin cup.

That's correct. It would definitely be best to use theirs if you have a cutaway. I personally don't have one, so I didn't think about it to post about it. But yes, excellent point, it is the first (or one of the first) to use that system, though I believe if Bonehead doesn't have one yet, there's one in the works. I could be wrong. If anyone has any info, please post.

Off subject, have you seen 2k's new top mount (belly fly style) camera helmet? I don't do belly camera work AT ALL, but that's one sweet piece of work. B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

You mean the Azimuth ? Its a nice looking helmet - basically the same as the BoneHead FTP but looks like theres a bit more space on top. It also has the 2 ring cutaway system for the back of the helmet. I don't know what comprable system BH has installed on the FTP as I havent seen one up close in a while.

They just updated their website with it a short while ago: http://www.2kcomposites.com/html/Azimuth.html

The chincup part I pulled from a thread over a year ago. I'll try to look it up again but the comment made was that the chincup was designed to be more like the one on the Bonehead Optik. The way I understood it, it is the current chincup if you've bought a helmet w/in the last year or so.

I currently have a Bonehead Mindwarp but want to buy a completely separate camera helmet. The FF2 is super expensive. I tried on a friend's RAWA this w/e and liked it a lot. Very comfortable chincup as well. It has a nice box for a PC120 but it's not nearly as sloped as the FF2. It didn't seem too heavy either; however, I'd like to do a weight comparison.

Decisions, decisions.:S

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Rawa's are damn nice helmets. A few guys at my dz jump them. They have a feature where you can flip your camera (for hd work) without flipping the box, it's cool as hell. B|

Wrong Way
The wiser wolf prevails.

The exchange rate at the moment means importing from the UK will suck for anyone in the US. It also means that anyting with a $ tag is a great bargain for us.

I still went with the FF2 beacuse I hear the build quality of the Rawa simply doesn't come close. I also had a German made fully enclosed helmet sent over for me to take a look at - again the build quality sucked. You simply cannot compare the finish and build of the 2K products.

I've always been a fan of BH products and would never slate them, but they all have a "factory made" feel (admittedly not necessarily a bad thing) to them as opposed to the hand finished quality of a 2K. The design of the FF2 also puts things like the clam shell camera box on boneheads to shame - especially at the price they charge for it.

Pics from the factory must be oh, about 2 weeks old. The helmets in a row there were about to be sent out - each going to a different country in Europe so you're quite possibly right. I don't remember any other yellow helmets there. B|

Yeah dude, the yellow FF2 was off to sweden or denmark or something like that... they had little bits of paper inside them with who's helmet it was, and what country it was off to.

Hey everyone. I'm actually also a 2k dealer in the US also and they do have a new chin cup. It's a ratchet chin cup like most out there and I've found mine to be very comfortable. They have also done a few things with the FF2. It is now a little narrower in the jaw area and the box has been made to be even more snag free. As for the Azimuth, I should have mine in a little while (I can't wait, especially since the USPS lost my FF2), and its not just a belly helmet. I'm going to take mine freeflying quite. If your interested in a flat top, I'd definately check it out.

I've had the chance to inspect one, and compare it to my Flat Top Pro. (It's a knock off of the FTP)

I don't like the size of the "bone" in the back, it's really much larger than it should be. It seems to be bigger primarily because the helmet does not use a hinge but uses the 2 ring release to act as a hinge. Not comfortable, nor as safe as the release system for the FTP.

Very nice paint though.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.