AggieDave

Slink Bumpers from PD

I think maintenance is the biggest issue here, both systems can fail. You are suppose to replace your lines at ~400 (give or take), and how many time have you seen classifieds that say 800 jumps still has original lineset and they look great. [:/]

My rule of thumb is, at ~400 jumps replace lines, slinks, and risers. All 3 components take wear from openings and the slider. I think part of the reason people don't like slinks is the fact that they don't want to have to replace a component....Ever!

Fly it like you stole it!

and opt to get ones make by your rigger, becareful that they aren't the kind made with dacron line.

Whats the problem with Dacron?

--

Nothing is wrong with Dacron, it's the kind of links they make with dacron that are bad.....I tried to take a picture of them but they either came out blurry or reflected to much of the flash back *sigh* The one I'm attaching is still to bright, but you get the idea, the dacron is just looped around and finger trapped into itself then zigzag stiched, there is no knot or anything. On opening the stiches take all of the opening force.

I'll try and take a pic tomorrow in the sunlight and see if that helps.....the one on the right you can see pulling apart.
Fly it like you stole it!

dacronlinks.jpg

Thank you, I see what you are talking about. I had never seen those before.

I asked just to make sure there was not a problem with the interation of the webbing with dacron, or Dacron and spectra or Vectran. FCI created some for us that are dacron, The line is finger trapped back into itself and stiched creating a line with a small loop on the end. ________O then you thread the lines on, take the end of the line back through the loop and tie it off with a figure 8 knot.

Its an interesting design I think, and its been pull tested down at RWS and had superior results, but I just kind of wondered.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

That's funny, since I know more then a couple people personally, that had rapid links open and bend apart on them. They all landed with them, not knowing anything had happened, although a tragic accident could have happened a very low altitudes.

To put it short, you are wrong.

He was talking about about links manufactured from Spectra when he referred to the shock loading and failure strentgh, not Rapide links. Rapide link failure is not very common, but when it occurs. it is commonly associated with pilot error. A loose barrel can work its' way open and a resulting failure or an over-tightened barrel can crack and fail. Either condition can be detected by regular inspection.

It is possible to set up controlled conditions that exhibit the superior strength of Spectra in relation to steel rings or rapide links, but they need to be regarded in relationship to the overall srength of the system. You are more likely to loose an extremity at those shock loadings or failure of another component.

alan

I'm not sure how new to the market these are, but the anti-Slink crowd will like to hear about this.

Helping a buddy hook up his new Sabre2 yesterday, we pulled the slinks out of the box and they had special cloth bumpers with them. I even check the instructions to reaffirm their purpose. They can be used to keep the slider from dropping past the slinks. Thus discounting one of the bigger arguments against Slinks.

Just a FYI.B|

Can somebody post the picture of these Slink Bumpers from PD? There is nothing about them on PD's website. >:(;)