nitr8

Canon 300D – magicstor 2.2GB CF+Type II

Haya,

I have a magicstor 2.2GB CompactFlash Type II.

When I use it, it seems slower than my 512 Type I but the specs say it can’t be. Also when I turn my camera off it seems the MicroDrive carries on spinning for quite some time. I’m lucky if my battery is not flat by the time I get to use it again.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
--Wayne
i would change the world if only god gave me the source

Have you jumped it yet?

While microdrives are good for some stuff, but generally speaking nobody that I know of has had good success with them in freefall. Air pressure changes have had a tendancy to make them not work very well.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

ahhhh bollocks,

I suppose I will have to jump the 512MB then :( and download more often Thought I could get away without taking my notebook to the DZ.

If anyone is interested the 2.2GB MicroDrive is quite cool and you can pick them up for around $150 (US)

--Wayne
i would change the world if only god gave me the source

A 512mb card in a Canon 300D should hold about 200 shots at the Jpeg Fine setting (what I use and more than good enough for magazine photos). Between jumps you can always trash the bad shots so . . . it should last all day if you deal with it prudently on jumps. Obviously, on high-volume days, like a special event or swoop contest, you'll want to bring a laptop to download every now and then.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Obviously, on high-volume days, like a special event or swoop contest, you'll want to bring a laptop to download every now and then.

Or, you could use a Belkin Media Reader attached to a third generation iPod to store many, many gb of photos.

Quade, I know Lori has an iPod, do you? Have you looked into this as a way to offload photos? Looks like it should download them to the iPod fairly quickly as it uses the Firewire dock to connect.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey