skydivejersey

DVD...

Hi guys and galls,
I would like to put my new film onto DVD. I don't want to do it with a pc but was thinking about one of those hi-fi DVD recorders. Does anyone know if you can take an Ilink in for the video and use other sources to mix the audio or if there are other ways of mixing audio onto the disc? What about the ones with a built in HDD? Do they offer any useful editing features?
Not looking to spend thousands.
Al.

You can't mix Ilink without a digital mixer which starts at about $2200. If you don't want to use a PC, your best bet is probably to use the S-Video & RCA inputs on the DVD recorder (Panasonic makes a good model with DV in at $460.) From a purist standpoint you are committing a capital offence going from Digial2Analog2Digital, but S-Video still has great quality and the majority of views probably couldn't tell the difference, especially when burnt to DVD. I don't know about editing features on recorders with build in HDDs, but if you find an intuitive option, please let me know.

- Maximus

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

"Not looking to spend thousands."

Good start, there are a few companies in the UK that will 'author' a DVD, IE set chapter points etc for you.
If you just want to burn the film to DVD without any 'fancy bits' (menus, special features etc) then its relatively easy, and cheap.
PM me and I'll put you in touch if you are interested....Or nip out to WHSmith's and get hold of 'What Camcorder' look in the classifieds at the back of the journal, and there is a a whole raft of outfits that are just dieing to do this for you.
If it comes to that, I'm sure someone with a burner might help.....I'm going to buy one soon, honest....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Cheers. Not looking to have to send stuff off. Just wanted to be able to play around at home. Using the same tools at the moment (ie a mixed for the music and the camecorder) but replace the VCR with a DVD Recorder.
I was hoping to find a way of doing it without loosing picture quality (ie having to a phono input for the video) but it looks like the only way is to use a PC.[:/]