JayhawkJumper

16mm freefall footage

All kinds of ways to shoot 16 or 35mm really....all depends on how much you want to spend....and if you want to own or rent the cameras and lenses. Also depends on how heavy a camera you want to carry.

Back in my day we used N-6 and N-9 type gun cameras for 16mm. N-6s can be had cheaply on eBay. They use the old Kodak 50ft preloaded cartridges. You're not always guaranteed perfect focus with the N-6, and they do have a tendancy to jam. Also need to adapt the front plate to accept c-mount lenses. Both the N-6 and the N-9 should be stripped of overrun controls and some of the internal relay switching to make them practical. The N-9 types were of much better quality and versatility....a little more expensive too. I've got several myself. They accept 100', 125', and 200' daylight-loading film magazines as well as 100' and 50' darkroom loads. The variable shutter is also a nice feature if you're into that look. The downside is that you're limited on frame rates (16, 32, 64 fps) and without major (expensive) re-engineering, you'll be hard-pressed to convert them to Super-16.

The Photo-Sonics 1VN is another excellent mag-loading 16mm camera. Frame rates up to 200 fps. Also takes c-mount lenses. There is a Super-16 conversion for the 1VN...pricey. Lowers max frame rate to something like 120 fps as well. Brent Finley may have a couple of these available.

There's a new Super-16 camera by Ikonoskop called the A-Cam SP-16. Looks promising if you don't need to go more than 36fps. Takes c-mount lenses as well, but they are developing a PL adapter for larger PL-mount cine lenses. Looks like a great camera for the money.

The Aaton A-Minima is another lightweight Super-16 camera. They can be bought cheaply enough sompared to most other Super-16 cameras....but a lot of rental houses carry 'em as well. Why buy when you can rent?? PL mount lenses....so the glass is gonna be a little heavier. Arguably sharper and contrastier than the older c-mount glass. Takes special 200' daylight spools by Kodak. Tricky to load. Don't know how durable the mirror shutter is.

Not so many choices in the 35mm realm. The 3 main 35mm guys fly 3 different systems.

As best as I can tell, Joe Jennings uses an old Bell & Howell Eyemo. Takes 100' daylight spools. A stock Eyemo can be upgraded with a crystal controlled motor and PL or PV mounts. With a PV lens mount you'll only have the option of renting your lenses....Panavision doesn't sell 'em. On the other hand, while they're heavy, the Panavision Primo series are in my opinion the best spherical primes made. Anamorphics are also an option...but they can be a little touchy and the camera MUST be totally dialed in. I don't know if Eyemos can me converted to Super-35.

Norman Kent Shoots with a Russian package called Konvas. I don' know much about those, other than that Konvas is a complete system....lenses, camera body, mags. Be careful that the claw and reg pins are BH pitch. Many Russian 35mm cine cameras are KS pitch....meaning the claw and pins won't fit Kodak's or Fuji's perforations. Does the system work well?? Have a look at "Willing To Fly"....you be the judge.

Tom Sanders uses an SL-Cine 2-C with low-profile SL-Cine mags. SL-Cine's cameras and mags are magnesium, so they're extremely lightweight, but still rugged and reliable. They're made in 12V and 24V versions, and also available with a Super-35 PL mount and gate. Standard PL and PV mounts are also supplied. The system is based on the tried and proven Arriflex 2-C. Tom's also got a custom-built 35mm body I think he got from the late Rande DeLuca ages ago.

Hope that's helpful. Drop a line if you have questions.

E2