CaTo

making 3D/Stereo video

Hi,

Since I was filming (CReW) with two cameras on my helmet last weekend (we had a competition, and we wanted to make sure that we had film to judge..) I now have two tapes with video thats shifted just a little (two 'eyes'). A perfect source for 3D/Stereo video I think. But how can I do this? Anyone out there have any ideas how to do this? For instance using premiere?
Caren

There are a lot of factors involved here, and I don't think premiere can handle what you want to do, but it might. For 3D, the cameras have to be really close together (same distance as your eyes) and I don't think the line of sight of the cameras can cross. If you have this you could try getting some red/blue 3d glasses, playing the videos over eachother and give each one a slight red/blue tint and see what happens. Experiment and see what you can do. I don't know how the achieve the 3d in Imax and universal's theatres (with clear glasses) but it would be cool to read something on this. Good luck.

the two camera's are mounted very close to eachother, in fact, I can look through them using both eyes (so left camer - left eye, right camera - right eye) so thats not the problem.

(in fact, the biggest problem fo me now is, before I can play around, getting blue-red spectacles :-)
Caren

If you could manage to put both clips online as a good quality MPG of DIVX, I could try and convert them to an anaglyph (red/green or blue/red) video for you, and upload it to skydivingmovies.com or so?

I've already done this a dozen or so times with 3D animations. I use Adobe After Effects to do so.

I convert both video's to black and white, and then turn one red the other green (european system, US uses blue/red), and then, I overlay one clip over the other at 50%.

The only problem with video like this is that both camera's need to have the same focal point.
If one of the camera's is a few inches off, it gives you a cross-eyed/pain in your head viewing :)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

last night I put the two tracks together, made them black and white and did the 'tint' trick. It looks like I have something now. Although I am missing red-blue glasses :-) So I ordered them and hope to have them beginning of next week

There was something weird with the footage that I can not explain: in stead of shifted from left to right, the footage seems to be shifted up and down.... but the cameras were definitely placed next to each other.... zooming was equal, so I can not explain. But am curious of the whole trick will work....

Last question: the footage is no without color.... thats not what I really want. I know that red-blue also works for color pictures, but how to do THAT?
Caren

There are a lot of factors involved here, and I don't think premiere can handle what you want to do, but it might. For 3D, the cameras have to be really close together (same distance as your eyes) and I don't think the line of sight of the cameras can cross. If you have this you could try getting some red/blue 3d glasses, playing the videos over eachother and give each one a slight red/blue tint and see what happens. Experiment and see what you can do. I don't know how the achieve the 3d in Imax and universal's theatres (with clear glasses) but it would be cool to read something on this. Good luck.

AFAIK the "clear" ones are accomplished with polarized lenses turned 90deg to eachother, and similar filters used either in the filming pro projecting. I doubt that this would work on a CRT, though you could use 2 projectors with polarizers ofer them and watch 'em on the wall or somesuch.

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time