crapflinger2000

Vectran question

Yo... slapped some new vectran on my canopy... line set purchased from P.D... question is:

Does vectran have some sort of silicon impregnation or something? Reason I ask is that after a few pack jobs, the rubber bands on the d-bag are now very slick, as if some stuff from the lines was being imparted to them.

obviously not a big deal, just curious....

danke

Vectran when from the factory is impregnated with a silicone based lubricant with a Uv inhibitor.
Archery fan's that use Vectran line impregnate their lines with a (wax) made especially for Vectran. Wax is just a term, I believe it is more of a silicone based lubricant with some wax in it. I have talked to the manufacturer's (Vectran Manufacturer's) and asked their Ideas on this application for skydiving, and they stated that they feel this would benifit the life of the lines, but any ideas on it should be sent to the canopy manufacturer. I just recieved a supply of Line lube and I am going to try it soon, I just got new lines so there isnt a need, but anyone with Vectran line's knows how they dry out over time, and as soon as they do I am going to try it out and see. I will let everyone know the result's.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

That is an issue I had, and when I talked to John Le Blanc he mentioned the same thing. The wax I recieved is supposed to dry when applied, but I still havent tried it out. But I will on small areas first, then to the whole lineset if that work's. But it is a little slippery and I am wondering if it will cause faster opening's.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Archery fan's that use Vectran line impregnate their lines with a (wax) made especially for Vectran. Wax is just a term, I believe it is more of a silicone based lubricant with some wax in it. I have talked to the manufacturer's (Vectran Manufacturer's) and asked their Ideas on this application for skydiving, and they stated that they feel this would benifit the life of the lines, but any ideas on it should be sent to the canopy manufacturer. I just recieved a supply of Line lube and I am going to try it soon,

Bowstrings and suspension lines are completely different things. They are not built the same way, they don't serve the same purpose. Are you sure it's a good idea to put archery wax on your lines?
I might be damn wrong, but as far as i know, the main purpose of wax on bowstrings is to keep the strands together (apart the center serving and the end loops it's just free strands). The addition of silicon in the wax is supposed to lubricate the strands during bow firing. Both are irrelevant for suspension lines.
Now, there are good reasons why you don't want anything too sticky on your suspension lines: it makes checking for wear way more difficult, and it will stick to other parts of your equipment.
Another thing that you might want to consider is that archery wax is not supposed to take heat; on you lines, it will.
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just trying to highlight some possible issues, for those willing to do the same as you. I actually don't know what would be the benefit.
--
Come
Skydive Asia