ChasingBlueSky

Newbie questions

Should be hitting my 500th jump sooner rather than later and thinking of adding a camera to my head....

However, I think I may go with Still Photography first - and learn how to get some great shots on the ground and in the air. I'll add video at a later date.

Looks like there are some great deals on the Coolpix 5000 on ebay and will get one as soon as I have the remainder of the cash.

My question - is there a good source to get me back up to date on how to take better pictures, etc? Maybe even a Pictures for Dummies book?

I have "Flying the Camera" and have been reading as many posts on here to gather even more data ...but I want to fully learn how to use the camera on the ground before I ever jump with it.

Thanks for the help

Without a doubt you'll become a better camera flyer faster if you shoot video first and then stills second.

Video will show you how much your head moves around during a skydive and it'll provide you with instant feedback on so many other things like distances and orbiting.

Stills, on the other hand, will mask all of this information.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Adding to what Quade said, video is also easier in that you don't have to worry about timing. Just turn it on, hit record, and go. Whereas with stills, you'll be dealing with some sort of blow or bite switch. One more thing to think about while your flying, when to release the shutter.

there are lots of photography books that can help you take better stills. the same rules apply in the air as in normal photography, that is, lighting is the most important thing, and then framing. It's just a lot harder to do while skydiving.

Also, while you're learning to fly a video camera, you can play with stills on the ground, learn how to use your camera and all it's functions. Like Quade said, the video will train your head so that when you start shooting stills, the skills you need will come easier.

good luck!

peace
http://www.exitshot.com

I agree with the others that video is an easier and more productive way to get started.

Kudos to you for waiting untill you have 500 jumps to do the camera thing. Your patience will be rewarded with quicker and safer progress over those who started earlier. Good luck...