DangerMouse02

Camera Setup

I am looking to purchase everything I need to start jumping with video. I mainly want to use it for freeflying and maybe the odd RW group. I need something that has good compatibility, etc.

Can you recommend everything I might need, helmet, camera, accessories, etc.

Thanks.
Brian

How much money do you have to spend?
Are you going to be staying in the UK for long? IE would you prefer PAL or NTSC cameras, or even both.
Do you need stills, and do you intend to try and recoup some of your investment, or are you just filming for fun?
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Asking here is good, but if you can also ask a local camera flyer at your dz. My local camera flyer, told me things like, how to lay down a time line on my tape, and different settings to use on my camera, stuff like that.

Now on to your question.

I just purchased a

PC-101 (sony)
RAWA helmet (comes a with d-box)
Battery charger
UV filter (A MUST!, doesn't do anything filter wise, other that protect your $200 lens with a $7 filter against scratches)
Tapes (only sony premium for me)

Stuff I'm still working on
Extra battery
Wide angle lens
Still mount
Bite switch
Fire wire card / cable / video editing software
Camera case to keep all of this in

That's all I can think of right now.

edit: spelling

Thanks for the reply. Money isn't a huge object in this. I'd like to get something nice, that I can use for quite a while. All told I think $2000 for the entire set-up would be my max.
I am temporarily stationed in the UK, and will back in the states soon (plus I do about 75% of my jumping outside of the UK anyways). I am pretty focused on a Sony camera, just not sure the advantages of the different PC models, etc.
I am also wide open on helmets. Neither one of my helmets would take a camera right now.
This will be purely for fun also, but stills seems like an attractive option.

Thanks again.
Brian

Check out the Bonehead Optik for your helmet. It has both side and top mounts so you can put a pc on the side and stills on top or you can put a trv on top and hang a still camera in front. Its very light weight and comfortable. Comes with a chin cup.

Skydive Radio

When you get a chance - please update your profile.

We're not snobs, as you can see from the advice you're already getting, but many of us like to get a little better feel for your experience level.

As was mentioned earlier, the first step should be to talk to your local camera flyers. They are going to be more familiar with what kind of flying you do, and might even turn you on to some decent used stuff for your first setup.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Sorry Ed,
I'm new to this online world, I didn't even remember setting up my profile. Its all squared away now.
Basically I am adding jumps pretty quick, and just wanting to have a simple camera helmet by around 200-250. Slim profile and easy use is important. I have been talking to various camera fliers, and the Sony camera seems like the choice, but still looking for the best helmet. Do you recommend a housing, or does it really matter? Thanks for you advice.

Brian

I know you were asking Cajones, but I definitely recommend a D-box or other total enclosure.

An upjumper at my DZ jumps a PC120 on an L bracket and he has this big ding in the side of the screen from a riser slap. His screen is not quite right anymore. I think that's one of the more expensive components to replace/repair.

I think minimum to get your camera fixed is like $275 by Sony. If a D-box or similar prevents even one trip to the fixit shop, money well spent.

I'm with Deuce on the d-box. It's good armor/insurance for your camera.

Cajun looks like he's put together a nice setup, and a pretty comprehensive list. If you're going minimum profile, look at some of the integrated side-mount helmets.

There are trade-offs with some of the helmets in terms of using them for future cameras. Helmets like the SkyPimp and FF2 that recess the camera offer excellent profile advantages, with very low snag potential. Adding stills to the top of these helmets creates what I've heard described as a "giant gaping mouth waiting to catch a riser" between the camera body and helmet. Even more versatile cousins like the Optik share this caveat. For good profile, flexibility, and basic protection, the BatRack is hard to beat (if you are planning on stills, also) it even includes a tidy little cutaway system. These are also thermo-fit, so they adapt to your noggin' pretty snug.

Adding my $.02 a Canadian Nickel at a time...

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Adding stills to the top of these helmets creates what I've heard described as a "giant gaping mouth waiting to catch a riser" between the camera body and helmet.

Yeah, I get a lot of greif about my LT regarding this. I liked my Aviator freefly helmet, so I just got a Hawkeye. I will switch to a Bat-rack when I can. I'd like to have that extra space to mount up a flash.