dragon2

which editing software?

Okay I've just got my camera last week, wheeee!! Got a Sony TRV25. Not jumping it yet, for now I'm just shooting landings and stuff.

I got all the firewire hardware I needed and starting fooling around on my laptop with Ulead VideoStudio, which came with the firewire card. My laptop is a Celeron 800 MHz w/256 MB SDRAM, and only 10 GB HD, running WinME.
You can guess the result: about 5 minutes of edited video, if that.

Now I'm setting up my desktop computer again. It's a PIII 700 MHz w/512 MB SDRAM and 2x 40 GB 5400 rpm HD's, for the moment also running ME (I fear XP isn't going to work, and 98 SE didn't work very well before).

My question is, I've got Ulead VideoStudio 5 SE and Pinnacle Studio 7. I'd never edited (or shot) video before last week, so I have no clue. Are these any good, keeping in mind these modest specifications? Which one? Or should I get something else?

And yeah, I wish I could get a nice P4 & stuff, but alas.... An extra HD, maybe.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My understanding is RAM and drive speed are important. I have an 80 GB 7200 rpm firewire drive dedicated to video storage. My system is a 1.1 GB Pentium with 512k RAM. However, I am running Premiere which is more resource intensive than Pinnacle...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I would never even attempt to do something as intensive as video editing on ME... The OS just isn't that reliable.

People seem to have the best luck running Windows 2000 or XP Profesional. If your hardware can support these, and you can snag a copy somewhere, I'd strongly recomend this.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'v good experience with Pinnacle Studio 8 + latest update (8.5), Also used Adobe Premiere 6.5. If your camera has also dv-in, a 30$ firewire-card, pinnacle studio 8 are ok, very fast to do very nice editing and take some quick captures for on the internet. You need to put your edited film back to your camera and from camera to vhs. Use Windows 2000 and 512 mb ram and a WD harddisk with 8 mb cache. I use a P4 2.53 Gh at home and a P3-800 at the club, both works fine. Have fun. Pancho ;)

pancho5small.jpg

Solved a bunch of my problems (and adding a financial one, by the way [:/]) by getting rid of my old laptop and getting a new one.

Bought a Sony Vaio, running XP, with 40 GB HD, 256 MB DDR, AMD 2000+ (running on 1,67 GHz), with USB2.0 and firewire.
Added another 256 MB DDR and a firewire/USB2.0 200 GB 7200 RPM HD to it, and voila :)

I've also ditched Ulead VideoStudio 5 SE for Adobe Premiere 6.5 and Pinnacle Studio 8.3 SE.

Can't say I've figured out Premiere yet, but Pinnacle is a step up from Ulead.

ciel bleu,
Saskia