slowjoe

perfect camera helmet

What is/would be the 'perfect' camera helmet?
(or at least the 'perfect' helmet for your camera/s and type of use)

In particular, I would like to know what you (experienced camera flyers and anyone who's looking at buying a camera helmet soon) consider important when looking for a camera helmet.

I have listed some items below and would appreciate opinions on any or all of them, specifically, what you like, what you don't like and reasons why:

- camera position, i.e. top-mount, side-mount, both
- mounting platforms/areas
- helmet securing system, i.e. hinged flap, chinstrap/cup etc.
- ring sight mounting (would you want a low-profile integrated sight mounting?)
- internal wiring for cam-eye, bite-switches, etc.
- helmet weight
- impact protection
- fit
- sizes offered
- external size
- cut-away system
- helmet material, i.e. carbon fibre, glass fibre or plastic
- liner and liner material
- cost
- waiting time, from order to delivery
- paintjob
- custom options
- drogue chutes (presumably so the helmet doesn't kill anything too big if you cut it away)
- a nice flat bit you can put the helmet down on
- camera helmet related incidents that have determined things you now look for in a helmet
- anything else I missed

let rip with that barrage of opinions

thanks

There is no 'perfect' camera helmet.
You need to decide what the job entails, then arrange the tools to achieve the job.
Are you filming for fun, or for a living, are freeflying, filiming 4-way, do you intend to jump your camera every single day, is it cold where you jump, do you need stills, what type of camera do you already own.
There are a number of perfectly good camera helmets commercially available, and the options for custom engineering are as varied as your imagination.
And finally, what budget do you have in mind?

Most of the options are asking about have been discussed here.....apart form the drogue issue which was only ever available on a model made by Leo Dickinson, now discontinued....
So do a search and see what gems of information are stored here....
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I realise there is no one perfect camera helmet

what I'm really trying to find out is what people are using, for what specific camera work and why they have chosen the helmet they use

picture someone with spare time on their hands and the ability to manufacture in composite materials, add in an interest in skydiving and camera work, and I think you can see where I'm going with this..

:)

You forgot Heads up display.

I saw a home built helmet once that the camera mounted from the inside and the outside of the helmet was molded to fit the camera. Nothing sticking out to get anything caught on. But this would mean building the helmet different for each camera. And with as quickly as Sony puts out new models, this might not be cost effective.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

I just bought a new Optik to replace my old camera gear. I have heard many raves about the 2k composite helmets, thought. Some complain about this uncomfortable chin strap, though. I also bought a ring sight from 2k. I am waiting on it's arrival. It seems to be a fairly low profile, nice and clean looking.
A Cam eye is a MUST. It has saved my tail on many jumps when the camera has hit the door on climb out and turned off. Just hit the button and turn it back on. Bite switches are way cool, too. Some prefer the tongue switch, however, due to the fact that there is no jaw movement.
Delivery on Bonehead helmets is about 8 weeks, but well worth it. I got a really nice paint job. you will likely pay upwards of 300$.
If ordereing from Bonehead, make sure they have a properly sized mount for you if you plan to go with stills. I ran into this problem recently and now have to fabricate a mounting bracket myself.
Don't forget....

Goos skydiving gear is not cheap and cheap skydiving gear is not good!!!
Que sera sera

I saw a home built helmet once that the camera mounted from the inside and the outside of the helmet was molded to fit the camera. Nothing sticking out to get anything caught on. But this would mean building the helmet different for each camera.

2K FFX? Sounds pretty close.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.