AdamA

Re : getting started

Thanks for all of you to respond my msg.

first of all, I need a camrecorder even for home use.
so, I'll buy one anyway.

second, on my jumps I'll concentrate on my motion and stability ; the difference is that I'll have a camera on my head.

finally, I have heard that camera on the side of the helmet is safe (not like on top).

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts, and perhaps you could tell me what models should I purchase in New-York/Los-angeles

Thanks again

p.s - what about those JVC (sony is expensive)

JVC is junk, if you want one get the only one that will last in freefall.. sony.

Side mounting is not safe, riser strikes happen and then you get the nice added bonus of having all the weight on one side of your neck durning opening so that it can pull all those muscles. 1 out of the 3 ws a side mount, 2 were top mounts.

>second, on my jumps I'll concentrate on my motion and stability ; the difference is that I'll have a camera on my head.

What good will this do? Talk to a local camera flyer, discuss the 3 directly related to camera deaths in the last 2 years. Talk to your instructors about wanting to jump a camera. The sky will always be htere waiting for you to fly in it to fly video, rushing it can put you into serious trouble if you don't have 100% control on your skydive and know 100% how to fly video camera.

How many times have you had to avoid things falling of people in freefall and blowing by you, can you look down at a formation and tell if some one is about to have a premature deployment? Most camera flyers have had these happen a few times. It takes knowing what to do before it happens to stay safe. Then you have all the worries of the camera, the mount, the sighting ,the lighting to worry about too. If you want an image recorder, for now jump with others that have cameras and get copies of the jumps off them.

Also you need to have a cutaway system for your camera so that if it does get snagged you can discard it. If you can't throw away something as expensive as a camera on a skydive... don't jump it. I've seen 3 Sony cameras impact at terminal after entangemnets, riser strikes and a dbox opening in freefall.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Adam --

As I think you can see from the responces so far there's a general feeling that camera flying isn't something that most people at your experience level should be thinking about right now.

If you need to purchase a video camera now with the thought that once you do have the experience it'll be the camera you'll use for camera flying, then I'd suggest the low end of the Sony TRV series of cameras. Maybe the TRV22 which retails for about $700.

I would strongly suggest that you do not fly this camera until you have about 200 jumps. If you'd like some reasons why we generally think camera flying is dangrous and what those dangers are, then check THIS out.

No matter how you mount the camera on your helmet it creates additional dangers. None of it is "safe".
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver